Penne Arrabbiata, is a simple spicy Italian Pasta dish. A few ingredients and spices makes this quick and easy Recipe the perfect weekday go to.
Living in Italy you learn to eat and make so many different pasta dishes, some are light and quick and some are heavier and creamier.
I really can’t say which I prefer because I am a die-hard pasta lover and in my humble opinion any Pasta is a good pasta! I will never say no to a plate of pasta. Needless to say I make pasta at least 4 times a week.
What does Arrabbiata mean?
But when time is short and I need something delicious and quick, this is one of the Pasta Recipes I rely on, Penne Arrabiata, which means angry in English. This Dish originated in the Region of Lazio most likely Rome. It is usually served with Penne Pasta.
The reason it is called angry is due to the heat of the hot peppers in the sauce, so the more you add the hotter it gets. Some people like to add capers to the dish, which gives the pasta a unique flavour.
How to Make Perfect Pasta:
- Be sure to use a large (very large) pot of water.
- Bring the water to a strong boil.
- Add salt, I usually use rock salt probably about 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons.
- Be sure to use a good quality pasta.
- Add your pasta and continue to cook in the boiling water, stirring often.
- Cook the pasta al dente, check the box for the ideal cooking time.
- Taste the pasta to make sure it is done, it should have a light bite to it.
- Remove the pasta with a sieve, never rinse pasta before adding to the sauce.
- With most pasta recipes a little pasta water is added to the sauce when bringing the dish together.
Ingredients for Pasta Arrabiata:
- Penne Pasta
- Hot Pepper flakes or fresh or dried peppers (Peperoncino).
- Pelati Tomatoes (peeled, one can)
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Parsley
- Capers and Parmesan Cheese if desired
More Fast and Easy Pasta Recipes:
- Creamy Pasta Boscaiola with Mushrooms and Sausage
- Oricchiette Pasta with Broccoli Rabe
- Easy Skillet Artichoke Pasta
This Pasta Dish is the perfect weeknight dinner idea because it is so quick to make, Penne Arrabbiata is ready and on the table in 15 or 20 minutes tops!
While your sauce is cooking and thickening and Oh that amazing, beautiful aroma, you can cook your pasta. Toss together and there you go dinner is served. Buon Appetito!
Easy Italian Penne Arrabbiata
- 3 cups cooked penne pasta (1 1/2 - 2 cups dry) (700 grams)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (or as much as desired)*
- 1 1/2 cups canned pelati (peeled) tomatoes (chopped nothing added) (400 grams)
- 3 tablespoons capers (rinsed before cooking if desired) (30 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
*If you prefer you can add chopped Italian Hot Peppers (peperoncino)
- In a large pot of salted boiling water cook pasta al dente, drain. While pasta is cooking prepare the sauce.
- In a medium to large frying pan add oil, and garlic sauté for approximately 1 minute add the hot pepper flakes, salt and tomatoes continue to cook on low to medium until thickened, approximately 10-15 minutes, add the capers then add drained cooked pasta and 1/2 ladle of pasta water, heat on high tossing gently and constantly until thickened and creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Top with chopped fresh parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!
Updated from March 3, 2015.