This Italian Stuffed Meatloaf also know as a Polpettone Ripieno, is stuffed with greens and a creamy gooey cheese. It makes the perfect family or guests to dinner idea. It will become everyones favorite!
We have always been a Meatloaf loving family, and I was so glad to be able to choose from a traditional Canadian to an Italian type of recipe. A polpettone is basically a large meatball without the sauce shaped oblong and baked in a loaf pan. This stuffed meatloaf recipe is even better because it’s stuffed!
- Ground beef
- Ground pork
- Parmesan cheese
- Bread crumbs
- Garlic – 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- Parsley – dried or fresh parsley
- Pepper – white or black pepper
What to substitute for Arugula
If you don’t like Arugula also known as rocket or rugula you could use baby spinach, dandelion greens or even kale.
What is the best cheese to use?
I like to use fontina, gruyere, firm mozzarella cheese or even scamorza. It’s easier if you get it sliced at the deli counter or you can shred it yourself. I would stay away from the bagged stuff.
What is the best ground beef to use?
The best ground beef for a meatloaf is ground chuck that is 80% fat. It will hold its shape better and but remain moist, juicy and firm enough.
Instructions to make Stuffed Meatloaf
In a large mixing bowl gently mix together the beef, pork, egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, minced garlic, parsley, salt and pepper, do not over mix. Slowly add the milk to form a compact meat mixture.
Place the mixture on a large sheet of parchment paper and pat into a rectangle, top with the cheese slices or shredded cheese and the chopped greens on top.
With the help of the parchment paper roll the meat loaf up starting at the short end, use a spatula to help with rolling if necessary. Place the loaf in a lightly greased loaf pan or baking dish if also making potatoes.
Bake for approximately 45-60 minutes in a pre heated oven. Let sit 5-10 minutes before slicing.
What to serve with it?
I like to serve cubed potatoes and carrots. I cook them together tossed with rosemary, spices and olive oil in the same pan as the meatloaf.
What are the best potatoes for baking?
To have the best baked potatoes you are going to want a medium or high starch potato, which includes the Russet, Yukon Gold and Red Potatoes.
When is meatloaf done?
A meatloaf is done when the internal temperature reads 160F/70C.
Can it be made ahead of time?
Yes you can definitely make it ahead of time, prepare the meatloaf place in the loaf pan, cover in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate the day before. Remove from the fridge and bake. Unbaked meatloaf can also be frozen for up to 6 months, thaw in the fridge and bake.
How to store it
Store any leftover meatloaf in plastic wrap or foil in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3-4 days in the fridge. Bring to room temperature and serve. It makes a delicious sandwich also.
Can stuffed meatloaf be frozen?
Wrap the completely cooled baked meatloaf in plastic wrap or foil, then place in a freezer safe bag or container. It will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
When you are looking for a Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf then I hope you give this recipe a try. And of course let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
More Meatloaf/Polpettone Recipes
Italian Stuffed Meatloaf
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean)
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes black or white peppper
- 3-4 tablespoons milk (I used 3 tablespoons)
- 9 Slices cheese (fontina, Gruyere, firm mozzarella or scamorza) or 1 – 1 1/2 cups shredded
- 1-2 Cups greens (arugula, spinach, kale or dandelion greens) chopped
FOR THE POTATOES
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease a 9 inch (23cm) loaf pan or a large baking dish if making potatoes & carrots also.
- In a large mixing bowl gently mix together the beef, pork, egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, minced garlic, parsley, salt and pepper, do not over mix. Slowly add the milk to form a compact meat mixture.
- Place the mixture on a large sheet of parchment paper and pat into a rectangle about ¼ inch thick, top with the cheese slices or shredded cheese and the chopped greens on top.
- With the help of the parchment paper roll the meat loaf up starting at the short end, use a spatula if needed to help roll the loaf. Place the loaf in the prepared loaf pan or baking dish. Add the potatoes if making.
- Bake for approximately 45-60 minutes in a pre heated oven. Let sit 5-10 minutes before slicing.
FOR THE POTATOES
- In a large bowl toss together the cubed potatoes, carrots, spices and olive oil.
I would love to try this…..sounds amazing. Could you share how much cheese and what greens are to be used, please?
Ho Ali I corrected the recipe, thanks.
Just read your recipe for meatloaf….80% fat ??? Or 80% lean. Please respond.
Hi Carol yes lean sorry about that.
Your instructions say to ” top with the cheese slices or shredded cheese and the chopped greens on top”, but those ingredients are not listed. It appears your meatloaf looks stuffed with white (parmesan?) and green (parsley); I am slightly confused about the instruction, in particular “top with the cheese slices”.
Wanting to make this; please advise.
Hi Kathy sorry about that I added it to the recipe.
What kind of cheese slices are used ?
Hi Edith, you can use firm mozzarella, fontina or even gruyere cheese.