These Easy Mozzarella Balls, come together in no time, baked or fried they make the perfect appetizer. Whether it’s game day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years or just because. So good you won’t be able to stop at just one!
I first tried these quite a while ago, my friend made them and said they are the easiest things to make and she was right! All the ingredients are combined in a mixer, then rolled into balls, you can either fry or bake them. So good and so easy.
Ingredients for Mozzarella Balls
How to make them
In a blender or food processor (I use a food processor) add the cut up fresh mozzarella, parmesan cheese, parsley salt, bread and egg. Mix together until well combined. It will be slightly sticky.
If you need to lightly dampen your hands with water and form into golf ball size balls. Roll in milk then roll in bread crumbs. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or plate and refrigerate for about 30-60 minutes. Or even overnight if you wish.
Remove from the fridge and cook, if frying drain on a paper towel lined plate for about 10-15 seconds before serving.
Can they be baked?
Yes if you don’t want to fry them then you can bake them in a pre-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes. Be sure to turn them after about 5-6 minutes.
I know most of us are used to eating a stick of mozzarella that is dredged in egg and then dipped in bread crumbs, but I have to tell you these are just as good if not even better. As the Italians say “”Uno tira l’altro”.” in other words, you can’t stop at one!
Remember to use fresh mozzarella and freshly grated parmesan cheese, your ingredients can make or break your recipe.
When to serve them
How to store them
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. They can be re-heated in the oven or microwave.
Can they be frozen?
I would freeze before they are baked or fried. Freeze them on a cookie sheet in a single layer for a couple of hours, once frozen transfer them to a freezer safe bag or container. They will keep for up to 3 months. They can be fried or baked from frozen. They will probably take a bit longer to cook.
So if you are looking for a delicious appetizer for any occasion I hope you give these Double Cheese Mozzarella Balls a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Easy Double Cheese Mozzarella Balls
- 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 ounces fresh mozzarella (cubed) (75 grams)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (50 grams)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1-2 pinches salt (or to taste)
- 3-4 slices fresh bread (crust removed and cut into small pieces)* (75 grams)
- 1 large egg
*I used crusty Italian bread.
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a blender or food processor (I use a food processor) add the cut up fresh mozzarella, parmesan cheese, parsley salt, bread and egg. Mix together until well combined. It will be slightly sticky.
- If you need to lightly dampen your hands with water and form into golf ball size balls. First roll in milk then roll in bread crumbs. Place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or plate cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30-60 minutes. Or even overnight if you wish.
- If baking the mozzarella balls then Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Remove the tray from the fridge and bake for about 10-15 minutes. Be sure to turn them after about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
- If frying, in a large fryer or deep pot add the vegetable oil halfway full, make sure the temperature remains between 335 - 345F (170-175C), (too high and they cook on the outside but not in the middle / too low and they remain soggy). Once oil is at the correct temperature, fry a few mozzarella balls at a time, until they are golden brown. Approximately 2-3 minutes, but turn often so they brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels for about 20 seconds, then serve. Enjoy.