Orange Cake Torta AllArancia is a traditional Italian sweet cake that is served in the afternoon with tea.
This is a delicious and easy cake recipe and I’m sure the healthiest dessert I’ve ever made. The recipe was given to me about 15 years ago, and I am embarrassed to admit that last night was the first time I ever made it.
After taking it in front of the toughest judges in the house, my husband and my youngest daughter, this Orange Cake (torta all’arancia) was declared unanimously one of the best cakes yet!
Our love for this dessert grew even more this morning, when we noticed the pleasant and sweet aroma of oranges as soon as we walked into the kitchen. The orange cake (torta all’arancia) is even tastier if you drizzle a cream cheese glaze on top of it.
I personally used a light cream cheese. But whichever you decide it makes the perfect addition to this cake.
Orange Cake Torta Allarancia
Orange Cake (torta all’arancia)
- 1 cup juice and zest from 3 oranges 240 grams, 15 grams
- 3 1/3 cups flour 400 grams
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar 250 grams
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder 16 grams
for the glaze
- 1 ounce cream cheese 25 grams, I used light
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar 62 grams
- 3 teaspoons milk 15 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 2.5 grams
- Turn oven on to 350 (180°) degrees, grease or spray a 8 or 9 inch (20 or 23 centimeters) cake pan.
- In a medium bowl sift flour and baking powder (sifting with a medium sized whisk for a few turns), in another medium sized bowl beat on medium for 60-90 seconds the eggs and sugar,add the zest, add the flour and orange juice alternatively, starting and ending with the flour (in 4 parts). Beating on low to medium until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake in hot oven for 40-45 minutes (test for doneness). Let cool, in a small bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze, then drizzle over cooled cake. Serve with a hot cup of tea or coffee and enjoy.