Italian Apple Cake, a moist soft full of chopped apples anytime cake. A perfect Breakfast, Snack or even Dessert Cake. All it needs is a dusting of powdered sugar!
Italian Apple Cake
I once asked the Italian what in his opinion was National Cake of Italy. He promptly answered “Ciambellone”, with my kids nodding their heads in agreement.
What is an Italian Ciambellone?
If you translate the word Ciambellone you have “Big Donut”, or in other words a Bundt Cake. Simple as that.
So what does this Apple Cake have to do with a Ciambellone? Well this is basically a Ciambellone with apples. And believe me everyone knows how to make an Apple Cake in Italy.
Be sure to watch the Video!
What makes this Apple Cake Italian?
I actually got this recipe years ago from a friend. So to start this is an Italian Cake because it’s an Italian’s Recipe!!
- Most Italian cakes are made with oil instead of butter.
- The flour is always sifted with the baking powder.
- 90 percent of the time lemon is an added ingredient. Just as it is in this Apple Cake. And because Italians cannot live without lemon!
- The finished cake is rarely drizzled or frosted unless of course you are making a birthday or Tiramisu.
- But most are dusted with powdered sugar.
- These types of cakes are often served at Breakfast and as a snack with an espresso. The perfect cake to serve when a friend comes to visit.
This cake can be made with one bowl, just sift your ingredients directly into the batter like all Italians do.
This Cake can also be frozen, just make sure to completely cool the cake and wrap it tightly in plastic then place in an airtight freezer bag. The cake will keep up to 3 months in the freezer.
Since I have a few extra people in the house this week, I decided to make the cake a couple of times. The first time I made it with 3 apples and chopped on the larger size and I used the juice of half a lemon.
My eldest daughter who is not a big lemon lover, only on her fish and in her water! And never in a dessert. Crazy I know.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
So I decided to make a second cake with only two apples and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. She obviously preferred the second where the rest of us preferred the first.
So you decide more apples and more lemon juice or less? Enjoy!
Easy Italian Apple Cake
Italian Apple Cake
- 2-3 medium apples (chopped medium or large)
- Juice from half a lemon (or 1 tablespoon if you want less lemon taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup regular yogurt (not flavoured)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use corn oil)
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- zest 1/2 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered / icing sugar (for dusting on the cake)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C), grease and flour a nine inch (23 cm) bundt pan (a cake pan would work too).
- In a medium bowl add the chopped apples and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar until creamy and light approximately 3-4 minutes. Then add the yogurt and oil, sift the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl add the zest then beat until combined.
- Fold in the apples, spoon into the prepared cake pan, sprinkle with a couple of tablespoons of granulated sugar and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes (check for doneness with a toothpick). Let cool completely before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!