Cinnamon Applesauce Cookies, a healthier cookie, the perfect snack or dessert. A delicious homemade applesauce makes these cookies even yummier! Everyone will love these including kids.
I haven’t posted a recipe for cookies in a while, but when I found Cinnamon Applesauce Cookies in my mother’s recipe cards, I knew I had to try them.
Sweetened with less sugar and more applesauce I guess you could call them a healthier cookie.
Be sure to watch the Video!
Since I can’t get applesauce in Italy I made my own. So simple and easy, very similar to my Apple Pie Filling.
More Apple Recipes you may enjoy!
I added very little water because I needed a thick applesauce for these Cinnamon Apple Sauce Cookies. Canned works just fine, but what the heck it really doesn’t take long to make it homemade.
And it is so good and probably a lot healthier than canned.
I have made these Cinnamon Applesauce Cookies a few times, and a couple of times I made the dough with my food processor. Mix it all together, no need to refrigerate the dough, make it and bake it.
They come out soft, moist and almost cake like and you can dust them with a little powdered sugar if you like or eat plain.
I noticed my Mom had written that they were better if you to let them rest for a day before eating, so that the cinnamon and apple would mingle really well together. Can’t say they lasted that long in my house.
Cinnamon Applesauce Cookies
I have never seen cookies go so fast. (actually the Thick Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies came really close).
A friend of ours came over for coffee in the morning, ate a couple of cookies and then came back in the afternoon for another coffee and another couple of cookies. He said they were that good. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Applesauce Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cake flour **
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thick applesauce (unsweetened or very lightly sweetened)
- HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE
- 4 medium apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 400° (200° celsius), line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE (makes approximately 2 cups) (500 grams)
- In a medium pot add chopped apples, water and lemon juice, cover and cook on low for approximately 15-20 minutes or until apples are soft, add 1 tablespoon sugar mash with a potato masher and continue cooking on low for approximately 5 minutes or until thickened. Let cool. Refrigerate unused applesauce, use within a week.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl cream together butter and brown sugar add egg blend about 2 minutes, add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the applesauce, combine until just combined.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls (about the size of a golf ball) on prepared cookie sheets, bake for approximately 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Keep in cool dry place, best if let to sit for 1 day before eating. (If you can wait) Enjoy! Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Republished from Feb 5, 2016.