Homemade Cinnamon Apple Strudel, a delicious made from scratch a pastry dough, then filled with a cinnamon, brown sugar and apple filling. Don’t forget to drizzle with a Maple Syrup Glaze. Perfect anytime!
Cinnamon Apple Strudel
I buy apples, I buy a lot of apples. They are my absolute favourite fruit. I love them raw, cooked or even baked, especially in an Apple Strudel.
So needless to say I am always finding different ways to bake up apples!
How to make Apple Strudel
- In a the bowl of your food processor add the flour, salt and sugar whisk to combine,
- Add butter and pulse a few times, add the egg and pulse to combine (3 or 4 pulses).
- Add the milk a little at a time and pulse to bring dough together.
- Remove to a lightly floured flat surface and knead until the dough is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, make the Apple Filling.
- In a medium bowl mix together cubed apples, brown sugar, almonds (leave some for sprinkling on top of unbaked strudel), zest, cinnamon and half the melted butter.
- Roll out the dough (as per video and photos), add the filling down the middle.
- Cut the dough into strips and fold over the filling. Brush with an egg wash, sprinkle with Almond Slivers.
What type of Pastry is used for Apple Strudel?
Strudel originated in Austria and a paper thin dough is used, very similar to phyllo dough. Some people also prefer using puff pastry or even a short pastry (similar to pie pastry).
Which is the way the Italians make Apple Strudel, and the way I decided to make it also.
I rolled the dough very thin and filled it with my apple cinnamon mixture. I used brown sugar and I left out the raisins. Yes I know, “who makes Strudel without raisins”? Well I did.
In fact I thought why not add sliced almonds instead. I had an unopened bag hanging around from Christmas baking so I threw them in too. And a sprinkle on top before baking wouldn’t hurt either.
What are the best apples for Strudel?
I prefer either Fuji or Galla Apples, but you can also use Granny Smith, the tartness of the apples is a perfect contrast to the sweetness of the dough, or even Golden Delicious would be a good choice.
How long will Apple Strudel Last?
You can keep it at room temperature for up to two days. Be sure to cover it loosely with foil or plastic wrap. Strudel will also keep for an additional 2-3 days in the refrigerator, covered.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
Cinnamon Apple Strudel
After my delicious Apple Strudel cooled down, I drizzled it with a Maple Syrup Glaze. If glaze isn’t for you, you can just sprinkle it with some Icing Sugar or go plain and eat it warm!
The Italian mentioned a big scoop of ice cream wouldn’t hurt either!
If you are like me and can’t get enough “anything with apples” I hope you enjoy this Apple Strudel Recipe.
Be sure to watch the video!
- 2 cups flour
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 4 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 2 apples peeled, cored and cubed (small to medium cubes)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (divided)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter melted (divided)
- 1/2 cup powdered/icing sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
In a food processor add flour, salt and sugar, whisk to combine, then add the butter and pulse a few times, add egg and pulse to combine (3 or 4 pulses), add milk a little at a time and pulse to bring dough together. Remove to a lightly floured flat surface and knead until dough is smooth. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
While dough is in the fridge, prepare the filling,
Cut washed, peeled, cored apples into small to medium cubes. Place in a medium bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice, then add the brown sugar, almonds (leave some for sprinkling on top of unbaked strudel), cinnamon and half the melted butter. Set aside.
Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C), line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Remove the dough from fridge and roll into a rectangular shape**, roll 1/8 inch thick, place on prepared cookie sheet, brush dough with the remaining half of the melted butter, spoon the apple mixture down the middle of the dough, make slits in dough, (see image), and criss cross cut slits over mixture (see image). Brush top of pastry with beaten egg, sprinkle with slivered almonds and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before drizzling with Maple Syrup Glaze or Icing Sugar. Or eat warm. Enjoy!
In a small bowl mix together powdered/icing sugar, vanilla and maple syrup and cream or milk. (add more milk or cream (a little at a time) if too thick, or more powdered sugar if too thin).
Updated from January 3, 2018.