These Chocolate Rum Balls are a quick and easy No Bake Christmas Treat. Made with cookie crumbs, nuts, sugar, cocoa, honey and of course Rum, then rolled in your favourite coating. The adults answer to Christmas Cookies!
Every year I usually make some sort of no bake cookie or chocolate, but this year I knew the Italian would be very impressed with these Rum Balls, he keeps telling me that I have to make one of his favourite Italian pastries, Baba al Rum, well at least these have rum in them!
How to make them
In a large bowl add the crushed cookies, sift in the icing sugar and cocoa, sifting helps prevent lumps, add the finely chopped nuts, whisk the ingredients all together.
Add the honey and rum and mix together with a fork or spatula. If you find the mixture too wet then refrigerate for about an hour, if it is too dry then add a bit more Rum. Roll the mixture into 1 inch balls, roll them in cocoa, icing sugar or even dip in melted chocolate.
Place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until ready to serve.
What are the best cookies to use?
Vanilla wafer cookies are usually the cookie of choice, although I cannot find a similar cookie here in Italy, so I used a simple Italian cookie that is made with cream, I think you could probably use your favourite simple cookie. Just be sure to ground it well using a food processor.
What kind of nuts can I use
I used finely chopped almonds but you could also use walnuts, hazelnuts or even pecans. If you don’t like nuts you could probably leave them out and maybe substitute with flaked coconut.
How to store them
They should be stored in an airtight container be sure to separate the layers with parchment paper. Store them in the refrigerator and they will last up to 2 weeks.
How to freeze them
Rum Balls should be frozen between layers of parchment paper in a freezer safe container. They will keep for up to 2 months if stored properly. They should be thawed in the fridge before serving. It is probably best to freeze them before coating then once thawed coat with desired coating.
What are the best coatings for Rum Balls
I found the easiest coatings to use were cocoa, powdered sugar and melted chocolate. Although you could roll them in coconut, chopped nuts or even sprinkles. It’s best to sift the powdered sugar or cocoa first in order to remove any lumps before coating them.
What is the best Rum to use
In Italy I didn’t have much of a choice, so I used white rum but you could always use dark or even spiced rum if you prefer. And who knows maybe even substituting with your favourite liqueur might be a good idea also!
More Christmas No Bake Recipes
So if you are looking for something a little different this year then why not try these Easy Chocolate Rum Balls and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Chocolate Rum Balls
- 1 ½ cups cookie crumbs (such as vanilla wafer cookies) (150 grams)
- ¼ cup icing/powdered sugar (30 grams)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup finely chopped nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts or cashews) (112 grams)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup Rum (white, dark or spiced) (60 grams)
- In a large bowl add the ground cookie crumbs, sift in the icing sugar and cocoa, sifting helps prevent lumps, add the finely chopped nuts, whisk the ingredients all together.
- Add the honey and rum and mix together with a fork. If you find the mixture too wet then refrigerate for about an hour. If the mixture is too dry then add more Rum (½ tablespoon at a time). Try rolling a ball first before adding more Rum, because it may look dry but they may come together without anything extra added.
- Roll the mixture into 1 inch balls, roll them in cocoa, icing sugar or even dip in melted chocolate (or coating of your choice). Place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!