Chocolate Torrone, it can’t be Christmas in Italy without Torrone! And needless to say one of our favourites is a creamy chocolate treat filled with hazelnuts. A delicious new tradition to share with your family at Christmas.
Chocolate Torrone, a creamy delicious chocolate Treat, the perfect holiday dessert.
You know how some people talk about desserts and call them “Death by Chocolate“? Well my friends you ain’t tasted nothing until you’ve tried this. This is absolute chocolate heaven.
Be sure to watch the video!
For approximately the first 10 years that we have lived in our home, we had the perfect neighbours, well at least they were for me.
We lived beside a Chocolate Factory. Life couldn’t have been better. Well actually it got better when they asked me to work for them at Easter Time. Oh what luck that was!
They would make their own Chocolate Torrone and Nougat Torrone every Christmas and then come Easter, that’s when the real fun started.
Right after Christmas they would start getting ready for the biggest Chocolate holiday of the year.
It was so busy at that time people coming and buying every imaginable size of egg. Having their own special gift placed in an egg for a loved one.
They were amazing people and I loved that working experience. Never mind the buckets of broken chocolate calling my name.
More Chocolate Recipes you may Enjoy!
I can remember during those months of the year, we would all come out of the house, sniff the air and chime “Yup, our neighbours are awesome”.
Unfortunately like a lot of family owned businesses in this country, they were forced to close up. Another great business lost and forgotten.
Chocolate Torrone is incredibly easy to make and equally easy to eat, full of toasted hazelnuts and dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate and a little Nutella.
I used one of those silicone loaf pans, it’s perfect, the finished Torrone just pops right out. Enjoy!
- 12.3 ounces dark chocolate (350 grams)
- 5.3 ounces milk chocolate (150 grams)
- 3.5 ounces white chocolate (100 grams)
- 3.5 ounces dark chocolate (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup Nutella (150 grams)
- 1 3/4 - 2 cups Hazelnuts (whole peeled toasted)**
- On low heat place the 12.3 ounces of dark chocolate (broken into pieces) in a medium bowl over a pot of water (make sure bowl does not touch the water). Melt until smooth, stirring often with a fork or whisk. Remove from heat and coat a 8 x 4 inch (21 x 10 centimeter) silicone loaf pan, swirling or brushing to coat evenly, drain any extra chocolate back into the bowl, freeze 10-15 minutes until hardens, coat one more time and freeze again for 10 minutes.
- While the coating is in the fridge, melt the milk, white and dark chocolate the same way as above. Once it is melted, remove from heat and stir in the Nutella, stir until smooth, fold in the hazelnuts, remove loaf pan from fridge and add the hazelnut filling, refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes, remove and cover with the remaining dark chocolate coating. Cover lightly with foil and refrigerate 3-6 hours. Remove from loaf pan and slice or chop into pieces**.
- ** It becomes quite hard after being in the fridge, so it might be best to let it sit for approximately 15 minutes before slicing, although I chopped it in large pieces instead.
- **If you buy untoasted hazelnuts, then you can either place hazelnuts in a large frying pan and heat on medium heat for approximately 2 minutes stirring occasionally, then remove from pan and let cool. Or bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven for 5 - 10 minutes.
If you want the same creamy delicious taste of this Chocolate Torrone, only faster and easier give Italian Triple Chocolate Bark a try.
Republished from December 6, 2015.