Chocolate Almond Biscotti, also known as Cantucci, a twice baked Italian cookie, this traditional Italian Chocolate Cookie is made with whole roasted almonds. A definite holiday treat.
a special treat in our house, always made during the Christmas season.
I have been perfecting these Almond Biscotti for awhile now, the first few batches I made with butter and no honey, one completely fell apart after the first bake and one batch I was so fed up with, I made it into one big log.
Not a good idea!
But then after having a couple of conversations with some of my Italian family members and friends I discovered that true biscotti has no butter and yes a teaspoon or two of honey is recommended.
Did you know that honey gives these Cantucci the crunchiness that they are famous for. More honey more crunchiness. But I think a teaspoon or a teaspoon and a half is all you really need.
Our friend told us that when his father made them he would add so much honey that they would almost break your teeth. That I don’t need.
These biscuits originated from Prato a city in Tuscany, and are usually served with an Italian Dessert wine, called Vin Santo. But we like them dipped in regular wine or a strong espresso.
Or why not dip them in some melted chocolate and call them Double Chocolate Biscotti!
More Chocolate Desserts you may enjoy!
- Easy Chocolate Chip Whipped Shortbread
- Italian Chocolate Pastry Cream
- Big Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Torrone
- Nutella Chocolate Layer Cake
What you will need to make these Chocolate Almond Biscotti
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
- Wire Rack – When making cookies a wire rack is must have.
- Hand Beater – This is something I use constantly. Nothing like a good hand beater.
- Pastry Brush – Perfect for brushing on an egg wash or milk.
- Honey – A must ingredient in Biscotti.
Whether you call these Traditional Italian Chocolate Almond Biscotti, Cantucci or Biscotti, I think you will find them very tasty and so easy to make. They are a perfectly delicious addition to your holiday baking. Enjoy!
Chocolate Almond Biscotti
- 3/4 cup whole skinned almonds
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest from 1/2 orange
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate (good quality)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On an unlined cookie sheet toast almonds for approximately 5 minutes in the pre-heated oven. Remove from oven, move to a small bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs and sugar to combine, then add flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, honey, vanilla and zest and combine with a wooden spoon, then fold in the almonds.
- Move to a lightly floured flat surface and gently knead into a soft dough.
- Divide into 2-3 parts and form into 2-3 logs (I found 3 logs to be just right). Approximately 8-10 inches long, place on prepared cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg (a small egg), bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit 5 minutes and then cut each log into 1/4 inch slices on the diagonal, place cut side up on the cookie sheet and bake again for approximately 5-10 minutes or until dry. Let cool completely before dipping in melted chocolate. Enjoy!