Big Double Chocolate Chip Muffins, a rich decadent full of chips Bakery Style Muffin. The perfect Breakfast, Snack or Dessert Treat. Nothing better than a jumbo Chocolate Chocolate Muffin to get your chocolate fix! Fast and easy and full of chips!
Big Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
I am a big Muffin fan, always have been always will be. So I am telling you these Big Double Chocolate Chip Muffins have to be the Best and I am not kidding the best muffins I have ever made or tasted.
If you are a muffin lover and a chocolate lover then these moist and full of chocolate and chips muffins are perfect for you. Nothing goes better with a big cup of coffee or tea than a huge muffin!
Muffins always go fast in my house, especially these Orange Streusel Muffins or a tasty Banana Crumb Muffin, and no one can resist a Carrot Cake Muffin with a little Cream Cheese frosting.These make a delicious breakfast treat or even a snack or dessert idea. And of course they bake up quick and easy.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Muffins
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla, coffee and oil until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir just until combined, do not over mix.
- Fill muffin tins almost to the top. Sprinkle with a few extra chips.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before tasting.
I made 6 large muffins, but 12 medium or even some mini muffins would work also or a few of each. And of course those little ones are just so easy to pop right into your mouth!
Muffins are just starting to become popular in Italy, but believe me you won’t be able to find Big Double Chocolate Chip Muffins like these ones here or as I might humbly add anywhere else either.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
Tips for making the best muffins
- Do not over stir! 18 – 20 turns just about does it. Don’t worry the batter is not going to be smooth. Nothing worse than a tough muffin.
- Be sure to bake the muffins for 5 minutes at a higher temperature this creates that perfect domed top, then lower for the remaining baking time.
- I use mini chocolate chips, one because that is the only size they have here and two I actually think they work better in recipes. Because they are smaller and lighter they won’t sink as easily as large chips.
How to Store Muffins
Muffins should be stored in an airtight container once the muffins are completely cool. In order to keep the muffins from becoming soggy, either line the container with a paper towel and cover the muffins with another paper towel or
add a slice of bread to the container to absorb any excess moisture.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Can you Freeze Muffins?
Yes muffins freeze perfectly, just place the muffins in a single layer in a freezer safe air tight container or freeze the muffins on a cookie sheet and then move them to freezer bags.
Muffins will keep up to two to three months.
Nothing beats chocolate in my opinion. Ok maybe Pasta and Pizza come close! So if you are looking for a very chocately muffin, a Double Chocolate Chip Muffin then I hope you give these a taste. Enjoy!
Big Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons cocoa (good quality)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt **
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour (all purpose)
** if you don't have greek yogurt substitute with 1/2 buttermilk (make your own - in a half cup measurement add 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice and top up (to remaining half cup) with milk, let sit 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400° (200° celsius), grease and flour a 6 or 12 muffin tin.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla, coffee and oil until combined.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir just until combined (stir approximately 15-16 times). Batter will be lumpy.
- Fill muffin tins almost to the top. Sprinkle with a few extra chips if desired.
- Bake at 400° (200° celsius) for 5 minutes, then lower heat to 350° (175° celsius) and continue to bake for approximately 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry and clean. Let cool completely. Enjoy!
Updated from January 22, 2018.