These simple Applesauce Muffins make the perfect breakfast or snack idea. A fast and easy muffin recipe made with applesauce and cinnamon. Moist and delicious.
Muffins are not only perfect for breakfast but also snack. Even here in Italy when I go to the local bakery or grocery store there are a few different types of muffins for sale.
But to tell the truth you can’t beat a homemade muffin in my opinion.
How to make Applesauce Muffins
- In a large bowl whisk until combined the melted cooled butter, eggs, applesauce and sugars.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake, let cool and serve.
What does mix just until combined mean?
When I make any recipe that states mix just until combined, I made sure I only stir 15-16 times. The mixture will be slightly lumpy but don’t worry it is suppose to be like that.
Over stirring makes a tough and dense finished product, which is what you definitely do not want.
How to make Cinnamon Sugar
In an airtight container or bag combine well, two tablespoons of granulated sugar and one teaspoon of ground cinnamon, (this can be doubled or tripled etc).
Store in a cool dry area. If stored properly it will last for up to three to four years.
Can I use store-bought applesauce?
Here in Italy I can’t buy applesauce so I always make my own Homemade Applesauce. It’s very easy and that way I also have control over the sugar content and the type of apples I want to use.
I like to use Fuji apples but other good choices are Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Pink Lady and Cortland apples.
How to know when muffins are done
The best way to tell if muffins are done is to insert a toothpick into the centre of one of the muffins if it comes out clean or there are a few crumbs attached to the toothpick then the muffins are done.
How to store muffins
Place the cooled muffins in a well sealed airtight bag and keep at room temperature for up to three days.
Can you freeze them?
Place the cooled muffins in an airtight freezer safe bag or container they will keep for up to three months if stored properly. The frozen muffins can be thawed at room temperature or even heated in the microwave or oven.
More delicious recipes made with applesauce
So if you are like me and always looking for a new Muffin Recipe then I hope you give these Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy.
Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 2 cups all purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter (melted & cooled) (105 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce (lightly or unsweetened) (250 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (lightly packed) (45 grams)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C), grease and flour a 12 medium size muffin tin.
FOR THE MUFFINS
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk until combined the melted cooled butter, eggs, Applesauce and sugars.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined, stir 15-16 turns only. The batter will be a bit lumpy but that is fine.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar . And bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F (180C) and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick, if it comes out with 2-3 crumbs attached or dry they are done. Let cool for about 10 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon.