Lemon lovers are going to love these quick and easy Lemon Muffins with a Crumb Topping, they are perfect anytime, breakfast or snack. Not too sweet and with just the right amount of Lemon.
So after over 25 years and I seriously am not kidding, we were finally able to grow lemons, we have always had lemon trees, but no lemons. But this year, hello 2020, we have lemons! So what should I make? Well besides Limoncello, and some delicious Italian Lemon Cookies for Christmas, I thought why not some muffins? And here we have a small batch of Lemon Muffins with a simple crumbly Topping.
How to make them
To make the topping mix the flour and sugar in a small bowl cut in the butter to form coarse crumbs, set aside. In a medium bowl beat with a fork, the egg, milk and oil. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg mixture, mix just until flour is wet.
Spoon the batter into the prepared medium 6 muffin size pan, ( I made 5 muffins but I like to fill my pan). Top with the crumb topping and bake. Let cool about 10 minutes before removing from pan.
What does stir just to combine mean?
It means to mix until the flour is wet but not smooth, therefore there should be some lumps, I like to say to stir about 15-16 times, just make sure that there is no remaining flour at the bottom of the bowl. Over mixing will cause the muffins to be dense, tough and they will not rise properly.
When are muffins done
To check for doneness, insert a clean toothpick into the centre of a muffin, if it comes out clean or even better with a couple of crumbs attached then they are ready.
What can I substitute in a muffin recipe?
In this recipe instead of all purpose flour you could substitute with pastry/cake flour, using cake flour you will have a softer and lighter muffin. In muffin recipes I sometimes substitute part of the milk with yogurt, you could use 2 tablespoons of milk and 2 tablespoons of yogurt, be sure to substitute 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to the recipe. If you prefer butter, then just substitute with melted cooled butter instead, or even coconut oil for vegetable oil.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes
So if you are on the look out for a new Muffin recipe then why not try these Lemon Muffins with a Crumb Topping! Enjoy.
Lemon Muffins with a Crumb Topping
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter soft
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 1 cup all purpose flour (130 grams)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (75 grams)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon milk (I use 2%) (room temperature) (75 grams)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use corn oil)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (room temperature)
*for room temperature remove from the fridge 30-45 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 6 medium size muffin tin.
FOR THE TOPPING
- In a small bowl mix together the flour and sugar add the butter and mix with a fork, pastry cutter or even clean hands to form coarse crumbs, set aside.
FOR THE MUFFINS
- In a medium bowl beat with a fork, the egg, milk and oil until well combined.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg mixture and lemon juice, mix just until flour is wet, about 15-16 stirs, no more.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, ( I made 5 muffins but I like to fill my pan). Top with the crumb topping and bake for about 18-25 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!