Homemade Applesauce Cake is more than just a simple Apple Cake. So moist, it’s made with homemade applesauce, a touch of cinnamon and a delicious brown sugar and cinnamon crumb topping. The perfect breakfast, snack or dessert Cake.
Applesauce Cake Recipe
From all those years ago when I first set foot in Italy to today, I have to say my taste in food has changed quite a bit.
Oh yes I still love bagels, Macaroni and Cheese and of course a really good Layer Cake. But I have also discovered how delicious fresh vegetables can be with just a little salt and olive oil.
And desserts, Italians love dessert, but no fancy frostings or Icings, usually just a simple sprinkling of powdered sugar.
That is probably why I think this Homemade Apple Cake is one of the best cakes I have ever made!
Tips for making this Applesauce Cake
- You are going to need a thick applesauce but the best way is make your own (my recipe included).
- Cream the butter, sugar and yolks.
- Add the dry ingredients with the applesauce alternately to the creamed mixture.
- Use a 8 or 9 inch bundt pan. (cake pan works good too)
- Don’t forget the crumb topping.
To tell you the truth whenever I make my own applesauce I usually use the same 2 or 3 varieties. Fuji, Yellow Delicious or Gala. If the first 2 aren’t available then I will go for the Gala apples.
I like the taste and the fact that they are quite firm apples. If you have another favourite that you use than by all means use them.
This Homemade Apple Cake is the perfect Breakfast, Snack or even Dessert Cake. Enjoy!
Homemade Applesauce Cake
FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup thick applesauce**
- 2 large apples (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter (cold)
**the homemade applesauce makes a cup or even a bit more.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celcius), grease and flour a 9 inch round cake pan or a 9 inch bundt pan.
FOR THE APPLESAUCE
- In a medium pot add the chopped apples, water and lemon juice. Cook on low heat (stirring occasionally) for approximately 15 minutes or until the apples soften then add the sugar and mash, continue to cook for approximately 3-5 minutes. Let cool before using.
FOR THE CAKE
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar, then add the egg yolks and combine well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the applesauce.
- Pour into prepared cake or bundt pan, sprinkle with crumb topping and bake for approximately 45 minutes (test with a toothpick for doneness). Let cool before serving. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl whisk together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon cut in cold butter to make coarse crumbs.