Homemade Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese, there’s nothing like it. This delicious comfort food is a fast and easy double cheese creamy Macaroni Recipe and yes it’s better than baked.
Macaroni and Cheese
Naturally we are a big Pasta loving family and this Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is tasty, creamy and cheesy exactly what it should be. I’m sure it will become one of your favourites too!
When I was in Canada one of my favourite Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese dishes was that really orange powdered stuff in a box. I hate to admit it but I just loved the stuff, so much so, that when I would come back from visiting (years ago) I would always bring back a couple of boxes.
And then I got smart and found the powdered mixture in the bulk store!! If I only knew back then how easy and delicious this Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese version is.
How to make the best Macaroni and Cheese Recipe.
- Cook the pasta al dent.
- Start by making a white sauce.
- In a large pot melt the butter, add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the milk, and stir to combine the ingredients to form a smooth sauce.
- Continue to cook the sauce until it thickens.
- Add the shredded cheese (that you shred yourself not pre shredded) and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Gently fold in your cooked al dente pasta.
- Serve immediately with some shredded cheddar on top.
What cheese is best to use?
I wanted to give this Macaroni and Cheese a little Italian touch, so I used Fontina, and of course Cheddar Cheese, the perfect combination in my opinion, although if you can’t find Fontina then substitute with Gruyere. You can also substitute with White Cheddar, Parmesan, Smoked Gouda or a firm Mozzarella.
But most importantly shred your own cheese, never buy packaged shredded cheese, it’s terrible stuff, it’s coated so it doesn’t melt properly.
How long does it take to make Stop Top Mac and Cheese?
It doesn’t take long to make, while your pasta is cooking, remember al dente. You will be making the white sauce, once the sauce has thickened the pasta should be done, then mix it all together with the shredded cheese. And Serve.
Sometimes the only thing we need is a little comfort, sometimes it comes from family, sometimes from friends and sometimes from food. I think this Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese is the perfect dish if you are looking or needing a little comfort.
More Macaroni & Cheese Recipes
And even if you aren’t needing a little comfort, you will love this Macaroni and Cheese Recipe, it’s cheesy, creamy and amazing! Buon Appetito!
Homemade Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter (50 grams)
- 1/4 cup flour (32 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 2 cups milk whole or 2 % (480 grams)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (medium or sharp) (125 grams)
- 1 cup shredded fontina or gruyere cheese (125 grams)
- 5-6 cups cooked macaroni (2 1/2 - 3 cups dried macaroni)
- Boil the water, add a little salt and pasta, cook just until al dent.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan on low / medium heat melt butter, then add the flour and whisk together until smooth, add salt and pepper, then slowly add the milk, stirring to combine. Cook and stir often until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted, then gently fold in the cooked al dente pasta. Serve immediately topped with some shredded cheese. Enjoy.
First published Jan 31, 2018.