I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Lots of chocolate bunnies for all. My husband brought home a bag of one of the best Italian chocolates that was given by one of our close friends, so I must say I was happy. He also brought the last of our broccoli, I don’t know if I should be happy or sad! So I decided to use it to make a new pasta recipe I got from another friend, Spaghetti Broccoli Arugula and Pecorino.
To tell the truth I wasn’t very enthusiastic about this pasta dish, I am not a great lover of Pecorino. I find it very strong and I really love my Parmesan Cheese. In my head I thought, “ok I’m going to substitute it with Parmesan”, but the Italian knows me too well. He read my mind and said “remember Pecorino not Parmesan”. So I had no choice. Pecorino it was.
Well all I can say is he was right, unfortunately sometimes he is. Like many Italian Pasta dishes, this is fast and easy and tasty, and it all comes down to the combination of the perfect ingredients. And believe me this Spaghetti Broccoli Arugula and Pecorino is an amazing combination. I cooked the broccoli al dente then when the pasta was cooked I tossed it together with some garlic, hot pepper flakes, chopped Arugula and some freshly grated Pecorino, just before serving I topped it with a little more Arugula and Pecorino. Serve this dish with a nice glass of wine and there you have the perfect weeknight or weekend dinner.
Spaghetti Broccoli Arugula and Pecorino
So I think this pasta dish is the perfect end to this Broccoli season and soon we can look forward to all the amazing veggies that Spring and Summer have to offer along with the warmer weather! Buon Appetito!
Spaghetti with Broccoli Arugula and Pecorino
- 1 small broccoli cut into florets
- ¼ cup olive oil 54 grams
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1-2 dashes hot pepper flakes (or to taste)
- ½ cup arugula (rocket / rucola) chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons Pecorino cheese
- 1-2 pinches salt (or to taste)
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti 420 grams
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh arugula (more or less)
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino
- In a large pot of salted boiling water cook broccoli al dente, remove from the pot and add the pasta to cook in the same water until al dente.
- In a large pan add the olive oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes sauté 1-2 minutes, add the broccoli, cooked pasta and 2-3 tablespoons pasta water, cook on high heat, for approximately 1 minute. Add the pecorino and arugula, toss and saute on medium heat for 30-60 seconds, taste for salt*.
- Serve immediately, sprinkle with more chopped arugula and Pecorino if desired. Enjoy!
*Pecorino can be salty so taste before adding extra.