Broccoli Cheese Bake, the creamiest and cheesiest Broccoli Side Dish you will ever eat. Everyone will ask for seconds. A dish you will be making over and over.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
One good thing about the holidays is I can add all the creamy bake dishes I want and just say “Well it’s the holidays”. So that, my friends, is what I am saying and I am sticking to it.
Before I made the biggest decision of my life, which was to get married and move to Italy, my husband spent some time in Toronto, (actually that is where we met) getting to know my family and friends and of course enjoying my Mom’s cooking.
One of his favourite dishes was this Broccoli Cheese Bake. I was never a big broccoli fan but done this way it is easy to become one. Needless to say this is one of many recipes that I took with me to my new country.
So whenever my husband would bring home a head or two of broccoli that his wonderful mother would gift us with from her garden this of course was one of the first dishes I would make.
Italians like to steam or boil the broccoli first then sauté it with some olive oil, garlic and salt. This is a delicious way also. But nothing beats baked broccoli.
I know how hard it can be sometimes to get your kids to eat vegetables, especially broccoli, but done this way my kids actually love it and look forward to a remake.
Broccoli cheese bake is also a perfect dish to make for when I have friends or family for dinners. You can never go wrong with this delicious creamy baked dish, tender broccoli in a delicious white sauce mixed with the tanginess of swiss cheese which is then all baked to perfection.
Broccoli Cheese Bake
So for birthdays, holidays , dinner with friends or family or just because days roll around, Broccoli Cheese Bake is the perfect side dish. I hope you enjoy it! Buon Appetito!
Other Delicious Broccoli Recipes you may enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese Bake is a delicious creamy and cheesy baked broccoli side dish perfect for a family dinner or get together.
- 1 pound head of broccoli ** 1 / 1/2 kilo
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter 49 grams
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour 19 1/2 grams
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt 8 1/2 grams
- 2 cups milk 490 grams
- 1 3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese (or cheddar cheese) 200 grams
- 2 eggs beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 325° (160° celsius)
Lightly grease a large baking dish. (at least 10 x 7 inches / 25 x 18 centimeters)
- In boiling water cook broccoli for approximately 10 minutes (until al dente) drain well.
- In a large pot over low heat melt butter, whisk in flour and salt, continue whisking until smooth. Slowly add the milk and continue whisking constantly until thickened and starts to boil. Remove from heat.
- Fold in cheese and broccoli and combine gently until cheese starts to melt slightly, add eggs and continue to stir gently to combine.
Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
** You can use Broccoli, Romanesco or Cauliflower