Broccoli Cheese Bake, the creamiest and cheesiest Broccoli Side Dish you will ever eat. Everyone will ask for seconds. A dish you will be making over and over.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
One good thing about the holidays is I can add all the creamy bake dishes I want and just say “Well it’s the holidays”. So that, my friends, is what I am saying and I am sticking to it.
Before I made the biggest decision of my life, which was to get married and move to Italy, my husband spent some time in Toronto, (actually that is where we met) getting to know my family and friends and of course enjoying my Mom’s cooking.
One of his favourite dishes was this Broccoli Casserole. I was never a big broccoli fan but done this way it is easy to become one. Needless to say this is one of many recipes that I took with me to my new country.
How to make Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Cook the broccoli florets in boiling water for about 10 minutes, drain well.
- In a medium large pot over low heat melt the butter, then whisk in the flour and salt, combine until smooth.
- Then slowly add the milk and continue to whisk until thickened and starts to boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Fold in the cheese and broccoli and gently combine, then add the eggs and combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 30 – 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minute before serving!
So whenever my husband would bring home a head or two of broccoli that his wonderful mother would gift us with from her garden this of course was one of the first dishes I would make.
Italians like to steam or boil the broccoli first then sauté it with some olive oil, garlic and salt. This is a delicious way also. But nothing beats baked broccoli.
I know how hard it can be sometimes to get your kids to eat vegetables, especially broccoli, but done this way my kids actually love it and look forward to a remake.
More delicious Broccoli Recipes
Can Broccoli Cheese Casserole be prepared ahead of time?
The casserole can be prepared the day ahead, just be sure to cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Just remove from the fridge and bake.
How to store Broccoli Casserole?
The Broccoli Cheese Casserole should be stored in an airtight container or tightly wrapped and kept in the refrigerator. Stored properly, the casserole will last for three to fives in the fridge.
Is Broccoli good for you?
Broccoli is full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants as . Including vitamin C, it is also delicious whether eaten cooked or raw.
You can never go wrong with this delicious creamy baked dish. Tender broccoli in a delicious white sauce mixed with the tanginess of swiss cheese which is then all baked to perfection.
Broccoli cheese bake is also a perfect dish to make for when I have friends or family for dinners, it also makes the perfect side dish for special holidays. I hope you enjoy it! Buon Appetito!
Broccoli Cheese Bake
- 1 pound head of broccoli ** 1/2 kilo
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk 490 grams
- 1 3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese (or cheddar cheese) 200 grams
- 2 eggs beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 325° (160° celsius)
- Lightly grease a large baking dish. (at least 10 x 7 inches / 25 x 18 centimeters)
- In boiling water cook broccoli for approximately 5-10 minutes (until al dente) drain well. (gently dry with paper towels to absorb extra moisture).
- In a large pot over low heat melt butter, whisk in flour and salt, continue whisking until smooth. Slowly add the milk and continue whisking constantly until thickened and starts to boil (let slow boil 1-2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Fold in cheese and broccoli and combine gently until cheese starts to melt slightly, add eggs and continue to stir gently to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- ** You can use Broccoli, Romanesco or Cauliflower
Updated from November 27, 2014.