This Strawberry Strudel is filled with a cream cheese filling, fresh sliced strawberries and a sprinkling of chocolate chips, then baked until golden. A delicious quick and easy dessert. Perfect anytime!
If you know me at all you will know that I am an absolute lover of Puff Pastry. In Italy Pastry Dough is very popular and loved by all. Either fresh or frozen is available.
I love it not only for the taste but because you can always make the most amazing, quick and easy desserts with it. We have a soft spot for this Chocolate Pastry Braid or even this simple Easy Puff Pastry Tiramisu.
I have to say of all the desserts I make Puff Pastry Desserts are the ones that get eaten the quickest. And by quick I mean 15 minutes and they are gone. This Strawberry Cream Cheese Strudel was no exception.
- Puff pastry – homemade or store bought puff pastry sheets
- Cream cheese – whole fat cream cheese
- Powdered sugar – also known as icing or confectioners’ sugar
- Vanilla – vanilla extract
- Strawberries – fresh sliced strawberries if you prefer you could substitute with blueberries
- Chocolate chips – semi sweet or milk chocolate chips either regular or mini chips
- Powdered sugar – also known as icing or confectioner’s sugar
- Vanilla – vanilla extract
- Milk – whole milk or cream
Why is it called Strudel
The origin of strudel is Austrian, it’s name “Strudel” comes from the German word which mean “whirlpool”, apparently when cut this is what the thin pastry resembles rolled around the filling.
How to Make Strawberry Strudel
If you prefer to make your own Puff Pastry then this quick and Easy Homemade 10 Minute Puff Pastry Recipe would be a perfect choice. If you prefer you could even use either homemade or store bought pie dough also.
In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese, sifted powdered sugar and the vanilla until combined. Set aside.
Place the puff pastry sheet on a piece of parchment paper and roll it a couple of times with a rolling pin.
Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly down the middle of the pastry. Top with the chopped strawberries and sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Make cuts on the side of the dough with a sharp knife until you reach the filling (see video). Criss cross the cut slits over the mixture. Then place it with the parchment paper on a baking sheet.
You can either brush the top of the pastry with an egg wash or milk. Then bake in the pre-heated oven until golden brown. Let the pastry cool completely before drizzling with the vanilla glaze or sprinkling with powdered sugar before serving.
In a small bowl mix together powdered/icing sugar, vanilla and milk or cream (a little at a time) as you need to reach your desired thickness.
Can you use frozen fruit?
Yes you can use either frozen strawberries or blueberries. Be sure to thaw the strawberries and towel dry before using. The blueberries can be used frozen.
What is authentic Strudel Dough?
Authentic strudel dough is rolled paper thin, thin enough to see through. It is made with flour, salt, warm water, egg yolks, vegetable oil and vinegar. But in our case puff pastry will do!
How to Store Strawberry Strudel
If you happen to have leftovers, the best way to store the strudel is in the refrigerator. You can bring it to room temperature before serving. Any leftovers will last 2-3 days in the fridge.
How to freeze it
Unbaked Strudel can also be frozen, wrap well and place in a freezer bag. Be sure to bake the strudel unthawed. It may take a few more minutes to bake.
When you are looking for a quick and easy dessert, I hope you give this Strawberry Strudel a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Strudel
- medium bowl
- hand beater
PUFF PASTRY FILLING
- 1 roll puff pastry (roll or sheet if frozen then thaw)*
- 5 ounces cream cheese / whole fat (remove from fridge 30 minutes prior)
- ¼ cup powdered/icing sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup chocolate chips semi sweet or milk (mini or regular)
If you prefer to make your own Puff Pastry then this quick and Easy Homemade 10 Minute Puff Pastry Recipe would be a perfect choice.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup icing / powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
PUFF PASTRY FILLING
- Pre heat oven to 375F (190C).
- In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese, sifted powdered sugar and the vanilla until combined. Set aside.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a piece of parchment paper and roll it a couple of times with a rolling pin.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly down the middle of the pastry. Top with the chopped strawberries and sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Make cuts on the side of the dough with a sharp knife until you reach the filling (see video). Criss cross the cut slits over the mixture. Then place it with the parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- You can either brush the top of the pastry with an egg wash or milk.To make the egg wash – In a small bowl beat together the egg and the water, brush top of pastry with mixture or milk .Then bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden.
- Let the pastry cool 10 minutes then carefully move it to a wire rack to cool completely before drizzling with the vanilla glaze or sprinkling with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl mix together powdered/icing sugar, vanilla and milk or cream (a little at a time) as you need to reach your desired thickness.
Updated from March 17, 2017.
Hi, my Strudel went flat and leaked out the sides. I slso forgot to put the chocolate inside, so I sprinkled it on the outside instead. I just hope it tastes better than it looks!!
Hi Suzi, I don’t know what pastry you used that went flat, if it leaked it’s because the braids weren’t tight enough around the filling. 🙂
Would you put the egg wash on after you degraw if if you choose to freeze and make later?
Hi Caitlin, you actually don’t have to thaw it, you can bake it frozen, but brush with the egg wash first and then bake. It may take a bit longer to bake.
Hello, looking for the best way to store this and for how long?
Hi Caitlin it will last about a month in the freezer. 🙂
Ahh. I forgot to put on the egg wash, had it ready wasn’t paying enough attention put it in without. Turned out ok though.
Hi Bryan, an egg wash gives the pastry shine and colour, so it still works without it.
Karen L. says
Thank you for such a great recipe and video instructions. It took my pastry about 40 mins to puff and brown though. I also substituted white chocolate chips. I’ll definitely be repeating this.
Hi Karen, thanks so glad you enjoyed it. White chocolate chips sound perfect. Have a great week.
Do I need to use vanilla extract ? Thank you
Hi Napur, you don’t have to add it, but it does give it a really nice flavour. It might be too plain without.
Emily Vesper says
If making your 10 min puff pastry, would I use the entire puff pastry recipe to make the strudel?
Hi Emily you may have a little dough leftover I don’t think it would be much though. The leftover dough can always be frozen. Hope that helps.
Cheryl Finley says
I have never worked with pastry puff before, however, I know it comes in sheets. Would I use all the sheets
for this recipe or just one? Thank you!
Hi Cheryl, just one sheet is needed. Two if you want to double the recipe. Hope you like it.
This sounds amazing, I can’t wait to make it. Do the leftovers need to be kept in the refrigerator?
Thanks Rachel, and yes I would keep the leftovers in the fridge. Hope you enjoy it.
Rachelle Netley says
Could I use frozen strawberries for this recipe or do I have to use fresh?
Hi Rachelle, I’m sure you could, just make sure to thaw them and maybe pat them dry with a paper towel. Hope that helps.
That video definitely made me hungry! I can’t wait to try out this recipe. I swear, I’m gonna gain weight with all your lovely recipes. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Christine, thanks hope you like it. Have a great weekend.