These Almond Cookies are made with almond flour and shredded coconut, which makes them not only delicious but also Gluten Free. Simple, easy and perfect anytime. Italian cookies never tasted so good.
My husband loves almonds and coconut, so when he came home with this recipe (yes he brings them home from friends too). I knew I had to make them.
These are basically, all his favourite ingredients in one cookie. Almonds, coconut and lemon. Italians love adding lemon to baked good.
But if you don’t like lemon, you could probably substitute with vanilla or even almond extract. A teaspoon would be enough.
Almond cookies or Amaretti are probably the most popular cookies at Christmas time for most Italian families. Fast, easy and very tasty.
How to make Almond Cookies
- Whisk the almond flour, coconut, sugar, zest and baking powder together.
- Add the egg and lemon juice and stir until mixture comes together.
- Then form into about 14 balls (about the size of golf balls).
- Roll each dough ball in powdered sugar.
- Place them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and top each with a whole almond.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, let cool before serving.
What is almond flour
Almond flour is made from blanched almonds which have had the skins removed. Almond flour is more finely ground then almond meal, which usually contains the skin of the almonds.
How to make Homemade Almond Flour
If you like you can even make your own almond flour, place almonds, 1/4 -1/3 cup at a time, in a food processor. Pulse until you have a flour-like consistency.
Then sift the flour into a container, any large bits pulse again.
How to store Almond Flour
Almond flour is best stored in an airtight container either in a cool dry place or the fridge. It will last four or five months in the fridge.
It can also be stored in the freezer, either in a freezer safe bag or container. It will last up to nine months in the freezer.
How to store Coconut Almond Cookies
These cookies should be stored in an airtight container in a cool dry area, they should be eaten within three to four days. They can also be stored in the fridge for about a week.
They can also be frozen in a freezer bag or container and will keep for up to 4 months.
More Delicious Italian Cookies
So if you are looking for another Italian Cookie to make, I hope you give these Coconut Almond Cookies a try. Enjoy!
Italian Coconut Almond Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons powdered / icing sugar
- zest of 1/2 lemon*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice*
- 1/4-1/3 cup icing / powdered sugar
- 14 almonds
*If you don't like lemon then you could substitute with 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract.
- Pre-heat oven to 320F (160C). Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour, coconut, sugars, zest, and baking powder.
- Add the egg and lemon juice and stir until mixture comes together. Then form into about 14 balls (about the size of golf balls). Add the egg and lemon juice and stir until mixture comes together.
Then form into about 14 balls (about the size of golf balls). Roll in powdered / icing sugar then place on prepared cookie sheet. Place one almond pushing down (slightly do not flatten the cookie) on the top of each ball. Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Let cool before serving. Enjoy!