Apple Pie Breakfast Turnovers, a delicious crust filled with an apple pie filling, the perfect breakfast treat.
The other night my husband came home with a bag full, and I mean full, of apples that he and my youngest daughter just picked. These are not your average apples, these my friends, not a pesticide has touched these babies.
So do you know what that means? Yes they may have house guests! So I would not recommend that you grab an apple, wash it, and take a bite.
One of the most fun family times I spent was in a small Town in Ontario apple picking. The kids loved riding on the tractor, and picking the apples. So why not check out your local apple farm and have a fun day apple-picking and eating apples and then why not treat yourself to some Apple Pie Breakfast Turnovers.
I made this really good not-too-sweet pastry dough a few months ago, and I just knew it would be perfect for these Apple Pie Breakfast Turnovers.
Not too sweet, perfect in the morning with a cup of coffee or tea and to tell the truth they are pretty good anytime. A few I left plain, a few I dusted with powdered sugar and more than a few I drizzled with an easy Vanilla glaze.
My eldest daughter who is now in Toronto (sad face) was my drizzler, so now my pastries are sad too for my lack of drizzling skills.
Sometimes we need a special breakfast, and this breakfast is not only special but also fast and easy. Not only that, it will get you in the mood for Fall. So Happy Fall and Enjoy!
Apple Pie Breakfast Turnovers
- TURNOVER DOUGH
- 2 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons flour 286 grams
- 2 tablespoons sugar 25 grams
- 3 teaspoons baking powder 15 grams
- 1 pinch salt* 2.8 grams
- 1/4 cup butter 57 grams
- 3/4 cup milk (whole or 2 %) 173 grams
- 1 egg beaten
*If using unsalted butter then up the salt to 1/2 teaspoon
- APPLE PIE FILLING
- 2-3 apples peeled and diced
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 cup packed brown sugar (50 grams)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 375° (190° celsius). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- TURNOVER DOUGH
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender, add milk and egg. Mix quickly together, move to a lightly floured flat surface, and knead lightly until dough comes together (dough might be too sticky, if so add a little more flour until it is just manageable, it must remain soft and a little sticky). Wrap in plastic and refrigerate while you make the apple pie filling.
- APPLE PIE FILLING
- In a small pot add small diced apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, corn starch and water, stir to combine, heat on low heat until thickened, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll flat, about pie crust thickness or even a little thicker if you want (be sure to lightly flour flat surface, top of dough and rolling pin) Cut with a large round cookie cutter, brush with melted butter (melt 1 tablespoon butter), place approximately 1 heaping teaspoon of apple pie filling on one side of circle, fold over and seal edges with a fork dipped in flour. Place on prepared cookie sheets, brush turnovers lightly with milk and bake approximately 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly, eat plain or dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with vanilla glaze. Enjoy!
- VANILLA GLAZE
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon cream (whole or whipping), whisk until smooth (if you like it thinner add more cream). (to easily fill pastry bag, place in a glass, fold bag over side of glass and fill with glaze)