These delicious Baked Meatballs are tender and juicy, baked in a simple spiced tomato sauce. Makes the perfect Dinner Recipe. Serve over your favourite Pasta.
Meatballs are a popular Dinner Dish and these Meatballs in Red Pepper Tomato Sauce are one of our favourites!
I have loved meatballs every since I first tasted my Mom’s Best Meatballs. And naturally I got my family hooked on them too. Adjusting to Italian life was interesting especially when I discovered that Italians do not eat Spaghetti and Meatballs together!
Pasta is considered a first plate and the Meatballs (or any meat or fish dish) is considered a second plate. Just be sure to serve them with some fresh Italian Crusty bread, what you need to wipe up all that delicious Sauce.
How to Make Baked Meatballs:
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef and pork, spices, egg and bread crumbs and gently combine, then form into 7-8 meatballs.
- In a medium bowl add the peeled Roma or San Marzano tomatoes and chop, then add the olive oil, spices and a little water and mix.
- In a large skillet drizzle the bottom of the pan with a little oil, add the sauce and top with meatballs, sprinkle with shredded Parmesan Cheese. Bake for approximately 20 – 25 minutes, the meatballs can be turned halfway through the cooking process, but it isn’t necessary.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan Cheese.
Can Meatballs be frozen?
Meatballs can either be frozen cooked or uncooked. Place meatballs (if cooked let them cool slightly) on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and freeze until firm, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag. They can remain for up to 2-3 months in the freezer.
Let the Meatballs defrost overnight in the fridge, then cook as per the recipe.
Ingredients for the Best Baked Meatballs:
- Be sure to use freshly grated Parmesan Cheese and not the cheese sold in plastic packages, cans or jars.
- Ground beef with 15-20 % fat. A little fat content helps the meatballs stay juicy.
- I like to use a little ground pork also or even an Italian sausage with the casing removed.
- For the Tomato sauce be sure to use canned peeled Roma or San Marzano tomatoes, just the tomatoes with nothing added.
- Use fresh parsley and thyme.
More Delicious Meatball Recipes:
I hope you give these Baked Meatballs a try and let me know how you like them. Buon Appetito!
Italian Baked Meatballs
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1 1/2 slices bread (60 grams)
- 1/4 cup milk
- .66 pound ground beef (15-20% fat) (300 grams)
- 1 large Italian sausage (casing removed and chopped) (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (50 grams)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes black pepper
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 14 ounces Peeled Tomatoes (Roma / San Marzano-1 can) (400 grams)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes hot pepper flakes if desired
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil on a oven save skillet or pan (10 inches / 25 cm).
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- In a small bowl add the milk and bread (crust removed) let soak, then squeeze out excess moisture and crumble.
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, sausage, crumbled bread, parmesan, parsley, egg, salt, pepper and garlic, gently combine. (do not over mix). Form into 7-8 meatballs.
FOR THE SAUCE
- In a medium bowl add the tomatoes (chop coarsely) then add the garlic, oregano, basil, olive oil, salt, hot pepper flakes and water, combine with a fork.
- Pour the sauce on the bottom of the pan, place meatballs on top. Sprinkle with half the parmesan cheese and fresh thyme. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and serve immediately