This Easy Black Olive Tapenade is ready in 5 minutes, just 4 ingredients to make the perfect appetizer spread. Perfect with your favourite crackers or bread.
With olive season almost upon us, we are getting ready for olive picking, pressing and making one of the best things about Italy. Olive Oil.
So needless to say this Black Olive Tapenade Recipe was the perfect Olive Spread for me (and of course them). I served it with our favourite crackers and some crusty Italian Bread.
Or if you are looking for a quick and easy Pasta Dish, toss some al dente pasta with some Olive Tapenade and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. So good.
- Olives – black kalamata olives pitted
- Garlic – cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Capers – under a vinegar brine, drained
How to make Olive Tapenade
In a blender or food processor add the chopped garlic, pitted black olives, anchovy (I only added one but if you like a strong taste two won’t hurt) and some capers if desired.
And blend or pulse, then add the olive oil, one tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired density. I used 3 tablespoons in my spread.
Best types of olives to use
Depending on what your favorite type of olives are I would recommend using green olives such as Castelvetrano olives and or black olives such as Niçoise olives or Kalamata olives. If necessary you can pit your own olives easily by smashing the olive with a knife and removing the pit.
- Depending on how salty your anchovy is you may need to add a little salt. It’s always best to taste before adding!
How to serve Olive Tapenade?
I like to serve it as an appetizer with crackers or even sliced baguette slices. Use it in sandwiches or even toss it with some al dente pasta be sure to add some extra olive oil to the pasta when tossing. Use it as a spread on bruschetta. Top the bruschetta with some of your favorite cheese, sun-dried tomatoes or fresh herbs such as fresh parsley chopped.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of capers instead of anchovies
- Use green olives instead of black olives or a combination of both
- Add a dash or two of black pepper
- Add some finely chopped parsley
- Or even a tablespoon lemon juice or lemon zest
Storing Black Olive Tapenade last?
Spoon the homemade Tapenade into a clean glass jar, top with a tablespoon of olive oil. Sealed Jars will keep up to 6 months. Once the jar is opened store in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
You can also freeze the spread, make sure it is a freezer safe air tight jar. It will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This quick and easy Olive Tapenade will be a delicious addition to any occasion whether a special holiday or just because! Buon Appetito.
Black Olive Tapenade
- 10 ounces pitted black olives (approximately 1¾ cups)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1-2 anchovies
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil (more or less)
- salt to taste
- In a blender add the olives, garlic and anchovy and blend, then add olive oil one tablespoon at a time and blend until you reach desired density. (taste and add a pinch or two of salt if needed). Serve with crackers or sliced bread.