These Delicious Blueberry Scones bake up fast and easy. The subtle lemon taste and a crunchy Streusel topping make these tender Scones the perfect Snack or Breakfast treat.
Scones are probably my absolute favourite Breakfast or snack sweet treat. I love making them almost as much as I love eating them!
I got addicted to Blueberry Scones when I was in Toronto (which was a couple of weeks ago). There’s that really popular Coffee Chain that in my opinion makes the worst coffee I have ever tasted, but omg do they know how to make a Blueberry Scone.
So since I came back to Italy, I knew I needed to make another Scone Recipe but this time with Lemon and Blueberries. A buttery Streusel Topping didn’t sound like a bad idea either!
I must admit I have made these a few times already and they are really good.
How to Make Blueberry Scones
- Beat the eggs then beat in the cream and brown sugar.
- Whisk the dry ingredients and zest together, then cut in the butter.
- Make a well in the middle and add the beaten egg mixture.
- Stir just until combined, do not over mix.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently a few times to bring the dough together.
- With the palm of your hand form the dough into a rectangle, sprinkle the berries on top and fold the dough over the berries like an envelope.
- Gently pat the dough into an 8 inch circle, brush with a little milk then sprinkle with streusel topping, cut the circle into 8 triangles, place the triangles on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet (make sure they aren’t touching).
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes.
Tips for making Blueberry Scone Recipe
- These Blueberry Scones can be made with either fresh or frozen berries, if you are using fresh, stick them in the freezer for an hour or two so they firm up.
- Do not over mix the dough or the scones may be tough.
- When kneading the dough be sure to do it gently a couple of times, just enough to bring the dough together.
- Add the berries to the finished dough and then wrap the dough over them, like an envelope.
How to Store Scones
Scones should be stored at room temperature in an airtight plastic bag or container. Although they should be eaten within 2 days.
How to Freeze Scones
Place the cooled scones in an airtight container or freezer bag. The scones will last for about 2 to 3 months. To defrost them, leave them in the bag or container and defrost at room temperature for 2-3 hours before serving.
More Delicious Scone Recipes
- Maple Glazed Brown Sugar Cinnamon Scones
- Easy Homemade Hot Cross Scones
- The Best Cranberry Scones
- Quick Orange Drop Biscuits
I hope you are in the mood for a tasty Blueberry Scone, let me know how you like them And have a wonderful weekend.
Lemon Blueberry Scones with a Crumb Topping
FOR THE LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream (whole or whipping cream)
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt*
- zest 1/2 – 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup frozen blueberries**
*I use salted butter if you use unsalted add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
**If you use fresh blueberries be sure to freeze them for at least 2 hours.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar (white or brown or half and half)
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (190C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
FOR THE LEMON BLUEBERRY SCONES
- Beat on medium speed the eggs then add the cream and brown sugar, beat just until combined.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and zest, then cut in the butter to form coarse crumbs. Make a well in the centre and add the egg mixture, stir just until combined (15 stirs).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured flat surface and knead gently 3-4 times to combine, pat into a rectangle with the palm of your hand, then sprinkle the berries on top and fold the dough over like an envelope. Gently pat the dough into an 8 inch circle, brush with a little milk, sprinkle with the streusel topping, cut the circle into 8 triangles, place the triangles on the prepared cookie sheet (make sure they aren’t touching). Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes. Let cool. Enjoy!