This Simple Italian Carrot Cake is made with a creamy pureed carrot mixture rather than shredded. A soft moist cake perfect for snack or dessert. A simple cream cheese frosting takes it over the top.
Easy Italian Carrot Cake
Usually with a Classic American Carrot Cake , the carrots would be shredded and added to the recipe, but with this Italian Carrot cake the carrots and melted butter are actually turned into a creamy mixture in a blender or food processor. This also helps to give the cake that gorgeous orange colouring.
I tasted this at a friend’s house who informed me that the recipe came from a popular Italian Food Blogger, Chiara from chiarapassion.com, I changed the recipe up a bit, I hope you enjoy this version.
How to make a Carrot Cake
In a blender or food processor add the chopped carrots and blend until finely grated, then add the cooled melted butter and blend until creamy.
In a large bowl or mixing bowl add the sugar, eggs and beat, then add the zest, carrot cream mixture and combine. Add the flour a little at a time mixing until smooth, then add the milk and combine.
Pour into prepared cake pan and bake.
This cake is perfect served the Italian way with a dusting of powdered sugar or with a creamy cream cheese glaze. You decide.
How to make Pastry Flour
Pastry flour is a lower-protein flour then all purpose, it will produce a lighter, more tender cake. To make it at home, place one cup of all purpose flour in a bowl, remove two tablespoons and substitute with two tablespoons of cornstarch. Sift or whisk together to combine well.
Can I add nuts?
I don’t see why not, although i would probably add about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of chopped nuts, walnut or pecans are the perfect choice. Be sure to toss them with a teaspoon or so of flour so they don’t sink to the bottom of the cake while baking.
How to store the cake
The cake should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. It will keep for two to three days. Best not kept in direct sunlight. If frosted it might be best to store in the fridge. In the fridge it will keep for four to five days. Anything longer than this and it should be kept in the freezer.
How to freeze it
The cake or slices should be placed on a cookie sheet, let it sit in the freezer for about two hours, then wrap the slices individually or the whole cake. Place in a freezer safe container or bag. I would probably freeze without the frosting.
Ever since I first tasted Carrot Cake I was hooked, these easy Carrot Cake Muffins are a big hit in my house and with fellow readers, and if you are looking for a delicious Carrot Cake Coffee Cake this could be for you.
So if you are in the mood for an easy Carrot Cake then I hope you give this Italian Carrot Cake a try and let me know how it turns out. Happy Easter and Take care everyone!
Italian Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt*
- 2-3 medium carrots (peeled and chopped) (200 grams)
- 3/4 cup butter (melted and cooled) (160 grams)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup milk (room temperature)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/4 cup butter softened (55 grams)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (whole fat / softened) (63 grams)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered / icing sugar (300 grams)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
*If you use unsalted butter than add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8 inch (20 cm) cake or 7 inch (18 cm) bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a blender or food processor add the chopped carrots and blend until finely grated, then add the cooled melted butter and blend until creamy, set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand up mixing bowl add the sugar and eggs, beat (on medium speed) one minute, then add the zest, carrot mixture and combine. Add the flour a little at a time mixing until smooth, then add the milk and beat to combine.Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before dusting with powdered sugar or frosting. Enjoy!
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- In a medium bowl beat butter and cream cheese until creamy approximately one minute. Add icing sugar a little at a time, continue beating, add the cream and beat approximately 3 minutes until fluffy. If you want a thinner frosting, then add more cream, thicker more icing sugar.