A moist and delicious Homemade Carrot Cake. A simple traditional Cake, with a creamy Cream Cheese Frosting.
Homemade Carrot Cake
This is one of my favourite Cakes, and I can’t wait to share it with you. A delicious carrot cake recipe, because carrot cake is just too good not to be shared with everyone and this is the best carrot cake I have ever eaten.
This recipe was given to me 26 years ago, baked on a special occasion by my good friend’s mother.
What nuts are best for a Carrot Cake?
Before I was able to get Pecans I would always use walnuts or hazelnuts in this recipe. But I have to admit Pecans are probably the tastiest. You can’t beat a Pecan!
Can you Freeze Carrot Cake?
Yes, you can actually freeze Carrot Cake baked and frosted! It is best to refrigerate it for about 6-8 hours before freezing so the frosting firms up and you don’t ruin it.
Before placing it in the freezer, be sure to wrap it well in plastic wrap then either place it in an air tight bag or container. If you prefer to freeze the cakes before frosting that is fine too, just wrap it the same way.
The cake can be frozen for up to 4 months, if frosted it’s best to thaw in the fridge.
A little History about Carrot Cake
Apparently a type of cake, called Carrot Pudding was enjoyed in the Medieval Times. The traditional Cake recipe was invented in the early 1900s in England.
It was actually baked in a loaf pan as a sweet bread. Then in the middle 1900s the “carrot bread/cake” was brought to America, and was made popular by George C Page.
He hired bakers to find ways to use up the over abundance of canned carrots. By the 1970s carrot cake was all the rage, the new dessert was also considered “healthy”!
More Delicious Cake Recipes
Homemade Carrot Cake
I love making dessert recipes for my Italian friends and family. But I have to say between this Homemade Carrot Cake and my Coconut Cake, I don’t know which is more popular.
In my opinion both are both amazing and both would make a perfect Birthday or Special Occasion Cake. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs ( room temperature)
- 3 cups shredded carrots (approximately 3 large or 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees celcius), Grease and flour 2 8 or 9 inch cake pans (20 or 23 cm)
- In a small bowl combine all dry ingredients excluding sugar, carrots and pecans.
- In a large bowl beat oil and sugar together for 1 minute, then add eggs and beat together another minute then add dry ingredients beating another minute, then add carrots and 1/2 cup chopped nuts(if desired) combining together with a wooden spoon.
Pour into prepared cake pans and bake in pre heated oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until springs back.
- In a medium bowl beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy approximately 1 minute. Lower speed to medium and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beat well after each addition. Add salt, half and half and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Let cool then ice with prepared icing. Top with chopped pecans if desired. Enjoy.
Updated all new from June 28, 2014.