Baked cheese crisps are made quickly and easily with shredded cheese, your favourite seasoning, and the option of delicious pancetta. Baked to perfection, these will very easily become your go-to low-carb snack or appetizer!
Did you know you can turn shredded cheese into a crispy crunchy cracker? You can! Baked cheese crisps are an irresistible crispy snack, appetizer, or side dish. Seriously, they’re so good, you can’t stop at one.
They’re made with shredded cheese, freshly grated parmesan, salty pancetta, and a sprinkling of dried herbs for a herbaceous flavour which gives it a great salty, savory balance! It’s as simple as mixing the ingredients, placing it on a baking sheet, and baking them until they’re golden brown and amazing.
With just 4 simple ingredients, they’re very easy to make and ready to bite into in under 20 minutes. You can, of course, add in some flavor and different seasoning to switch it up. Sometimes I like to make a few separate batches, each with a different flavour, and provide everyone with different options.
Add some dips on the side, and it’s easy entertaining for sure!
A Healthy Baked Snack
They’re not fried so they don’t come with a ton of extra grease and when baked they come out perfectly golden with a crispy bite!
If you’re looking for a super easy low-carb snack (or Keto-friendly, if that’s your thing), this recipe for baked cheese crisps will become your new best friend. Salty, cheesy, crunchy, and so so good!
- Shredded cheese – This can be whichever you have on hand, or whatever you prefer. Fontal, firm mozzarella, swiss, and cheddar are all good choices.
- Grated parmesan – Freshly grated, none of the pre-grated stuff. It won’t melt as nicely.
- Dried herbs – Oregano, parsley, rosemary, or a combination of them.
- Pancetta – Optional tasty element to bring it up a notch!
How To Make Them
Combine ingredients in a bowl, making sure to mix well.
Place small mounds of cheese mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
If you’re using pancetta, place a cube on top of each mound.
Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before enjoying.
Tips & Variations
- If you’re adding any additional spices or seasoning, mix them into the parmesan and then add to the rest of the ingredients.
- You may need to work in batches, so having an extra baking sheet prepared might come in handy.
- Easily double or triple this recipe for the number of crisps you require.
- Cheese produces its own oils, but even still you may find you need to add cooking spray to the parchment paper.
- For added spice, mix in some finely diced jalapeno with the cheese. You could also sprinkle in a bit of cayenne or use a spicy cheese.
- Add some fresh garlic or garlic powder and maybe some smoked paprika!
Good news! These crispy snacks can be stored at room temperature for up to a week! Make sure to cover them in an airtight container, otherwise, they’ll lose their crispiness.
Yes! Aside from being low-carb, Keto-friendly, and sugar-free, they are also gluten-free.
They freeze well. Make a double batch and once cooled, store whatever you’re not eating in an airtight freezer-friendly bag and keep frozen for up to 6 months.
When you are looking for a simple and tasty appetizer or snack I hope you give these Baked Cheese Crisps a try and be sure to let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
More Delicious Appetizers to try
Baked Cheese Crisps
- ½ cup shredded cheese (fontal, firm mozzarella, swiss or cheddar)
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano, parsley, rosemary etc
- 10+ small cubes of pancetta
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C). Line a cookie or 2 with parchment paper.
- If you use spices be sure to mix well with whatever you cheese you wish, I mixed mine with the parmesan cheese.
- Make small mounds of each cheese on the prepared cookie sheets, place a cube of pancetta (if using) in the middle of the mound. Bake approximately 7 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 5-10 minutes on baking sheet before removing. Enjoy!