Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers, a fast and easy finger food that will be gone in minutes. The perfect Bite Size Appetizer for family dinners or get togethers.
The other day I decided to make one of our favourite lasagna, White Sauce Lasagna, if you haven’t tried it, believe me you must give it a taste.
It’s rich and delicious and filled with the best of everything. From Italian Sausages, to Peas and Mushrooms to a fast and easy Homemade White Sauce.
And that is how I came up with these Simple Appetizers. I had some leftover White Sauce, you don’t need much about half a cup maybe less. You could add a little extra extra milk, flour and butter when making the white sauce just to make sure you have some left over.
Or you could always make a smaller amount just to try these! A cup of milk, one tablespoon of flour and butter with a pinch of salt would probably work. In a small pot melt the butter whisk in the flour and salt, then slowly add the milk, on medium/low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Let cool.
I had a roll of Puff Pastry in the fridge, so I rolled it out and using my two and a half-inch round cookie cutter I cut out about 10 rounds.
I topped each round with a teaspoon or two of White Sauce a few mushroom slices, which I was already using in the Lasagna so I sliced up a few extra and sautéed them in a little olive oil with some spices.
And of course topped with a generous sprinkle of Fresh Parmesan Cheese, or your preferred cheese. They baked up in about 20 minutes and I can tell you they were gone in less!
- Thawed puff pastry dough – use store-bought or learn how to make puff pastry. It’s easier than you think!
- Olive oil
- Sliced mushrooms
- Dried oregano
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Leftover white sauce – can be homemade or storebought
- Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the oil, mushrooms, salt, oregano, and parsley in a small pan. Sauté them over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly golden brown and tender.
Roll out the puff pastry sheets and cut out circles with a round cookie cutter. Place them on the lined baking sheet.
Top each round with some white sauce, some mushroom mixture, and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
Bake the mushroom puff pastries for about 20 minutes and then seve them warm from the oven.
I think these Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers would make a great addition to any dinner or get together where you want to serve an Antipasto, something everyone will enjoy! These will definitely be on my Holiday Table this year. Buon Appetito!
- Italian Savory Stuffed Puff Pastry Pockets
- Witches’ Brooms Puff Pastry Recipe
- Baked Italian Sausage & Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms
Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers
- 1 roll puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 large mushrooms (sliced)
- pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon fresh Italian Parsley minced
- ½ cup white sauce (homemade or store bought)*
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan Cheese or Cheese of choice
*Don't throw out any leftover white sauce use it for this recipe.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Line a cookie sheet or 2 with parchment paper.
- In a small frying pan add the olive oil, sliced mushrooms, salt, oregano and parsley, cook on medium, stirring occasionally until mushroom have browned slightly and are tender. Remove from heat.
- Roll out Puff Pastry (if frozen thaw completely), and cut out circles with a round cookie cutter (2.5 inch / 6.5 cm) top each round with a teaspoon or 2 of white sauce, spread with the back of the spoon, top with 2 or 3 mushroom slices and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese or cheese of choice. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!