Homemade Chocolate Nutella Gelato, an easy Italian Ice Cream recipe to make at home. Creamy and delicious, made with just five ingredients and an ice cream maker! Perfect as a dessert or even snack. Everyone will love it, you can’t get much better than this.
I have always been an ice cream lover, and so is the rest of my family. There is always some kind of gelato/ice cream in the freezer. From homemade no churn Vanilla Ice cream to a Raspberry Swirl ice cream to a creamy Tiramisu Gelato to a simple Fior di Latte gelato!
- Cream – whole, whipping or heavy cream
- Milk – whole milk
- Sugar –fine sugar this will combine better than granulated sugar
- Nutella – either homemade Nutella or store bought Nutella
- Chocolate chips – mini or regular semi sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate if you prefer
How to make fine/caster sugar
Caster sugar is basically granulated sugar that is extremely fine. You can make it at home, just place the granulated sugar in a blender or food processor and blend or pulse until fine, be careful not to blend too much or you will be making powdered sugar.
What is Gelato?
After doing some research I have discovered that, perhaps, ice cream and gelato are not the same thing. Basically there are three main differences that set gelato apart from ice cream.
Firstly, gelato is made with more milk than cream, a key element that makes it lower in fat, which, they say, also makes it tastier .
Secondly it is churned at a lower speed making it denser than ice cream and lastly it’s served at a lower temperature than ice cream which helps to give it that creamy texture that we love.
If you served ice cream at the same temperature you would get a soupy slop, because ice cream is fattier and that makes it melt faster. But anyway you put it, I still love both, ice cream and gelato and pretty well any kind.
How to make Chocolate Nutella Gelato
In a medium to large bowl add the cream, milk and sugar beat on medium speed.
Pour the mixture into your gelato maker (using a spatula be sure to pour in all ingredients). When gelato is almost done add the Nutella and chocolate chips,
Continue with the ice cream maker until reached desired creaminess.
Transfer the mixture to a freezer safe container. If needed freeze for a couple of hours to firm up.
- If you use milk chocolate chips then I would suggest using less sugar
- Read the directions for your ice cream maker as all machines are different, some need more time than others
- Be sure to use whole cream and milk
How to store Homemade Gelato
Homemade ice cream / gelato should be kept in the freezer, in an airtight container. Apparently glass or stainless steel are the best containers to use. It will keep for at least one week in the freezer.
So dust off your ice cream maker and give this Chocolate Nutella Gelato a try. Enjoy!
Homemade Chocolate Nutella Gelato
- ⅓ cup cream whole, heavy or whipping cream (with at least 30% fat content)
- 1⅓ cups milk (2% or whole milk)
- ¼-⅓ cup fine sugar
- 2 tablespoons Nutella*
- 2-3 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
*I put the nutella in a small bowl and over a pot of boiling water I let it thin out for about 1 minute
- In a medium to large bowl add the cream, milk and sugar beat on medium speed for 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into your gelato maker (using a spatula be sure to pour in all ingredients), when gelato is almost done (mine took about 15 minutes) add the Nutella and chocolate chips, continue with the ice cream maker until reached desired creaminess. See the instructions on your ice cream maker, in total mine took 30 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a freezer safe container. If needed freeze for a couple of hours to firm up. Enjoy!
Updated May 23, 2014.