A Homemade Chocolate Pie made with a flaky crostata crust, a creamy chocolate filling, and topped with roasted hazelnuts. The perfect pie for a family or special occasion get together.
Italian Chocolate Pie
I was inspired by a recent trip to Venice for this Chocolate Pie. We were walking by a Bakery and this pie caught my eye. A simple Creamy Pie topped with roasted whole hazelnuts.
I decided when I got back home I would duplicate it, using my Crostata Pie Dough recipe as the base. And a simple chocolate ganache as the filling and some toasted hazelnuts as the finishing touch.
Besides visiting one of my favourite cities in the world, I got to eat some delicious food too. In fact I ate one of the best cornetto / croissant in a small restaurant right beside the Train Station in Venice.
And believe me I have eaten a lot of Cornetti in Italy. Nothing like a cappuccino and a fresh croissant in the morning for breakfast.
But I have to admit this Creamy Chocolate Pie was as delicious as I imagined it to be.
The first thing you have to do is blind bake the pie crust. And fill it with a chocolate filling, refrigerate it until almost firm then top it with roasted hazelnuts, back in the fridge it goes until completely firm.
How to make a Chocolate Pie
- First make your pie dough, chill for about 30 minutes then roll and place in prepared pie plate.
- Bake it until golden.
- Let the crust cool completely.
- While the dough is cooling, make your chocolate filling.
- Once the crust has cooled pour in the chocolate filling, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
- Remove the pie and top with toasted hazelnuts.
- Chill again until completely firm about another two – three hours.
- Slice and serve!
How to blind bake a Pie Crust
Roll the dough to approximately 1/8 inch thickness then place it in the prepared pie plate, prick the bottom well with a fork.
Cover the bottom of the crust with parchment paper and add dried beans or pie weights on top, bake for approximately 20 minutes (if pie is not baked, then bake for an additional 5 – 10 minutes without the beans).
Remove from the oven, remove paper and beans, let cool.
How to make a Creamy Chocolate Filling
Chop the good quality chocolate and place in a medium to large bowl. Heat the cream until very hot but not boiling and pour over the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
Add the butter and stir until completely smooth, pour into the cooled tart crust and refrigerate until firm.
How to Roast Nuts
Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes in the pre-heated oven. Remove the nuts to a bowl and let cool. Do not leave the nuts on the hot cookie sheet or they may over cook.
How to store a Chocolate pie
The pie should be stored in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap, it will last up to three days. Although it is not a good idea to freeze a Chocolate Pie because of the addition of cream.
More delicious Pie Recipes
So if you feel like a taste of Venice, I hope you try this Chocolate Pie and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Italian Chocolate Pie
- 1 pie crust (either homemade or store bought)
- 7 ounces good quality dark chocolate (or a mixture of dark and milk) (200 grams)
- 1 cup cream whole / whipping (240 grams)
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 35 whole hazelnuts
- Make your Crostata Dough, and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly grease and flour a 9 inch (22 cm) pie plate.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll to 1/8" thickness, then fit in the prepared pie plate. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork, then cover the dough with parchment paper, place dry beans or pie weights on top. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, remove paper and weights and continue to bake for another 5-10 minutes or until golden. Let the crust cool completely before filling.
- While the crust is cooling make the filling, chop the chocolate and place in a medium sized bowl. In a medium pot heat the cream until very hot but not boiling. Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until smooth, add the butter and stir again until smooth. Let cool if very hot.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the cooled crust and refrigerate for 2 hours, remove and top with roasted hazelnuts, refrigerate again for another 2-3 hours or until completely firm. Enjoy!
Roasting the hazelnuts
- Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes in the pre-heated oven. Remove the nuts to a bowl and let cool. Do not leave the nuts on the hot cookie sheet or they may cook too much.