Creamy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pie, a delicious Chocolate Pastry Crust filled with a creamy no bake Mascarpone, Whipped Cream and Peanut Butter filling, and don’t forget the chocolate chips!
Peanut Butter Pie
Did you know that March 1 is Peanut Butter Lover’s Day? And if you love Peanut Butter than this Peanut Butter Pie with Chocolate Chips is for you.
My first memory of eating the combination of Peanut Butter and Chocolate was when I was about 8 years old and my sister and I took some mini Chocolate Easter Eggs and dipped them in Peanut Butter.
And that became one of my all time favourite combinations.
So I thought I am going to make a pie with that exact combination.
More Peanut Butter Recipes you may enjoy
With my Italian cooking experience I decided to change it up a bit. I made an Italian Chocolate Pie Crust (pasta frolla) and decided that I would add mascarpone to the peanut butter mix.
I love mascarpone, more than cream cheese. I find mascarpone to be creamier and have a more delicate taste than cream cheese.
How to Make a Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pie
- Make the chocolate pie pastry.
- Blind bake the crust.
- Beat together the Mascarpone, peanut butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Beat the whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture and then fold in the chocolate chips. Leave a few to sprinkle on top.
How to Blind Bake a Pie Crust
- Place your crust in the pan, and trim the edges. Prick the bottom of the pie, then line the crust with parchment paper.
- Add pie weights, such as dry rice, dried beans or like I do sugar (which you can use over many times and also use for baking so they say).
- Chill the crust for 30 minutes; this will solidify the fat, which helps prevent shrinkage.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and lift out the paper and weights. Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork, to prevent bubbles. Return the crust to the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the crust is baked all over.
Since living in Italy I have also discovered that very few Italians have a love for Peanut Butter! My youngest daughter is not one of them! Even the smell makes her run.
Thank goodness for her sister who like me thinks a spoon and a jar go hand in hand.
So needless to say I did eat a piece of this Creamy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pie but I promised my daughter that I would freeze the rest.
If you are a Peanut Butter lover like I am I hope you enjoy this Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pie. Enjoy!
Creamy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pie
FOR THE PIE DOUGH
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
- 1 cup mascarpone (remove from fridge 30 minutes before using)
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (smooth)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cream (whole / heavy)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl or food processor whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt, make a well in the middle (or add to food processor) and add the egg, yolk and butter, mix with a fork or pulse to combine.
- When almost combined, move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and knead gently until combined and smooth. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° grease and flour an 8 inch pie plate.
- Remove from fridge (divide the dough in half, the unused dough may be frozen for future use) and place on a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough a couple of times to soften it up. Roll out to 1/8" thickness (or a little thicker). Transfer to prepared pie plate, trim the dough of any extra dough then prick the dough all over.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and fill it with dried beans, rice or even sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and weights and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until done. Let cool completely before filling.
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING
- In a large bowl beat the mascarpone, peanut butter sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- In a large cold bowl (place bowl and beaters in the freezer 20 minutes before using) beat the cream until stiff.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture, fold in half the chocolate chips. Pour into the baked crust and sprinkle with the remaining chips. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or over night. Enjoy!
Since today March 1 is Peanut Butter Lover’s Day, I have teamed up with fellow bloggers to share recipes with you once a month for various food holidays. So I hope you will check out their recipes too.
Ashlee Marie – Triple Peanut Butter Cake
Simply Stacie – Peanut Butter Pie
An Italian in my Kitchen – here
Creations by Kara – Peanut Butter Butterfinger Cookies
Real Mom Kitchen – Easy Peanut Butter Granola
Pretty Providence – Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars
Crumb – Peanut Butter Lovers Pancakes
Savory Experiments – Easy Peanut Butter Fudge
Namely Marly – Peanut Butter Cookies
The Baker Upstairs – Giant Homemade Nutter Butter Cookies
365 Days of Slow Cooking – Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Brownies
My Mommy Style – Peanut Butter Twix Pie
Supergolden Bakes – Instant Pot Peanut Butter Caramel Cheesecake
Premeditated Leftovers – Peanut Butter Doughnuts with Chunky Pear
Heather Likes Food – No Bake Peanut Butter Protein Balls