Cookie truffles are a delightful sweet that are easy to make and perfect for any occasion. These bite-sized heavenly treats are made with just a few ingredients including crushed cookies and chocolate. They can be customized to suit any taste preference and can be made in large batches for sharing with friends and family. These tasty confections are not only delicious but also incredibly easy to make.
One of the best things about cookie truffles is their versatility. They can be made with any type of cookie, from Oreos to chocolate chip cookies to ginger snaps. Once the truffles are formed, they can be coated in chocolate, sprinkles, or any other topping of your choice. The possibilities are endless, making cookie truffles a fun and creative dessert to make and the kids can help too!
Ingredients to make Cookie Truffles
- Cookies – simple cookie crumbs such as vanilla wafer cookies, sugar cookies, shortbread cookies or even oreo cookies
- Chocolate – good quality melted chocolate such as dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate
- Nuts – almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts chopped
- Coconut – unsweetened coconut flakes
How to melt chocolate
To melt chocolate, start by chopping it into small, evenly-sized pieces. Then, choose your preferred method either stovetop / bain-marie or microwave.
For the stovetop method, fill a saucepan with a small amount of water and place it over medium heat. Set a heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan, ensuring it fits snugly, and add the chopped chocolate to the bowl. Stir the chocolate constantly as it melts, and remove it from the heat source as soon as it’s almost all melted, this allows for the heat to finish melting the chocolate.
For the microwave method, place the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it on low power or in short intervals, stirring well after each interval. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate, as it has a tendency to burn/scorch easily.
Low and slow is best when heating and melting chocolate. Whether you choose the stovetop or microwave method, you have to be patient, remember to stir consistently, and avoid getting any water or steam in the chocolate or the chocolate will seize and you will need to start over.
How to make Chocolate Cookie Truffles
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a blender or food processor add the cookies and blend or pulse until you have fine crumbs.
Transfer the crumbs to a medium/large bowl, add the melted white chocolate and mix to combine well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and freeze until firm but not frozen.
Remove from the freezer and using a teaspoon or small cookie scoop remove a heaping spoonful, and form into a ball, place them on the lined cookie sheet. If you find that the cookie balls are becoming too soft then place them in the fridge to firm up. Once they are all formed, then place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Remove them from the freezer and using a toothpick or fork dip the balls in melted dark or milk chocolate, then roll them in the ground nuts or coconut. Freeze the chocolates once again before serving.
To make your chocolate smooth for drizzling, you can add a small amount of shortening and melt.
If you are dipping your cookies in chocolate, allow for any excess chocolate to fall off back into the bowl. If desired, you could then dip the cookies in sprinkles for added decoration, or in crushed pecans. Allow to set on a cooling rack or wax paper.
How to store the cookie truffles
Store the truffles in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for up to one week in the fridge.
To freeze them place the truffles on a baking sheet and freeze until firm, then move to a freezer container or bag, they will keep for up to one month in the freezer.
Whether you’re looking for a new twist on a classic truffle or just want to try something different, these are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. They’re easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Try making a batch today and see for yourself how delicious they can be. Enjoy!
Easy Chocolate Cookie Truffles
- 1 package vanilla wafer cookies (6 ounces)
- 3½ ounces white chocolate (melted)
- 5 ounces chocolate (dark or milk / melted)
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a blender or food processor add the cookies and blend or pulse until you have fine crumbs.
- Transfer the crumbs to a medium/large bowl, add the melted white chocolate and mix to combine well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and freeze for approximately 10-15 minutes or until firm but not frozen.
- Remove from the freezer and using a teaspoon or small cookie scoop remove a heaping spoonful, and form into a ball, place them on the prepared baking sheet. If you find that the cookie balls are becoming too soft then place them in the fridge to firm up. Once they are all formed, then place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Then remove from the freezer and using a toothpick or fork dip the balls in melted dark or milk chocolate, then roll them in the ground nuts or coconut. Freeze the chocolates once again for approximately 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Updated from February 5, 2018.