Meringue Kisses, these melt in your mouth mini drops are the perfect party treat. Make them any colour, make them red so perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Meringue Kisses Recipe
My kids and my husband are really big Meringue Lovers. To tell the truth I didn’t care one way or the other. Until ….
Until I started making my own. The funny thing is I think I like making them more than eating them.
I love the fact that something made with only a few ingredients can turn out so perfect. Making Meringue can be a little tricky but if you follow the instructions perfectly there should be no problem.
How to make the Perfect Meringue Drops.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the exact amount of sugar written in the recipe.
- Add the sugar very slowly, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Use fine sugar, it’s easy to make your own.
- Bake in a slow oven.
- Don’t make Meringue anything on a humid day, or you will have very sticky Meringue.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
If you like coloured meringue drops then just add a line or two of colouring gel in your pastry bag before adding the meringue.
I actually didn’t have any gel so I just squeezed in some drops and it worked too. Maybe not as precise as the gel but not bad.
And no one noticed, they were gone in a day. Enjoy!
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup fine sugar **
- Pre-heat oven to 200°F (100°C), line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl beat egg whites until stiff, start by beating on low then increase to high speed, when the mixture is stiff add the sugar very slowly one teaspoon at a time while continuing to beat, make sure that the mixture is stiff after each addition of sugar.
- Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high speed until you have a smooth, stiff and glossy mixture. Continue to whisk for at least 5-10 minutes after the sugar has been incorporated.
- Place mixture in a pastry bag with desired tip and pipe out your kisses onto the prepared cookie sheet. If you wish you can colour your drops by adding food colouring gel strips inside your pastry bag before filling.
- Bake for approximately 35-45 minutes or until the meringue kisses come off the parchment paper cleanly and without sticking. Then turn off the oven, place the handle of a wooden spoon in the door of the oven (to leave a small opening) and leave the meringue in until the oven is completely cool. Serve or conserve in an air tight container for up to two weeks. Enjoy!