Creamy Mushroom Pasta – a quick and easy mushroom pasta recipe with the best creamy sauce. The mushrooms are cooked in butter and herbs and then combined with cream and Parmesan to make a velvety sauce that is perfect tossed with pasta.
If you want to try an easy pasta dish, this creamy mushroom pasta recipe is great for any occasion. It’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner but looks fancy, so it’s great for special meals, too.
I love mushrooms, and there’s no better way to enjoy them than in a creamy pasta sauce. It’s such an easy recipe – once you start cooking the mushrooms, you can boil the pasta. By the time it’s done, you just finish the sauce, and dinner is ready.
Add glasses of white wine and some delicious Italian bread on the side, and an ordinary weeknight will feel so special. The creamy mushroom sauce is rich, velvety, and delicious.
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Sliced mushrooms
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Dried oregano
- Hot red pepper flakes – optional
- Heavy cream
- All-purpose flour
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat the butter, olive oil, and garlic in a large pan or skillet. Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms, parsley, oregano, salt, hot pepper flakes and water.
Simmer the mushrooms over low to medium heat until they are tender. Stir them often, so they cook evenly.
While the mushrooms cook, boil the fettuccine in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Before the pasta is done, reserve some of the starchy water to use in the sauce.
When the mushrooms are tender, add the cream, flour, and cheese. Stir until the sauce has thickened. Add the drained pasta and 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water. Toss it all together over high heat for about 10 seconds.
Serve the mushroom pasta with extra Parmesan sprinkled over the top.
Any long pasta shape will work well in this dish, so feel free to swap the fettuccine for spaghetti or linguini. Or if you prefer a short pasta then you can reach for the penne or fusilli.
For the mushrooms, pick your favorite variety. Sliced portobello mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or even oyster or shiitake will work well. Button mushrooms will work, too, but they are small, so you won’t need to slice them.
Instead of simmering the mushrooms in water, you can use vegetable broth or chicken broth. This will give the dish a different taste.
Switch the parsley for other herbs like fresh thyme or fresh chives. Or do a mix of herbs.
Pasta: For the best result, boil the pasta until it’s al dente. This means it’s tender but still with a bite. Overcooked pasta is mushy, and you don’t want that in your dish.
Mushrooms: Use a large pan to cook them, so there is plenty of space. If you overcrowd the pan, they will take longer to cook.
Serving Tip: This dish is best served right after it’s done cooking. So, as soon as you add the pasta, toss it in the sauce and then serve it while the sauce is extra creamy and delicious.
I never get tired of pasta, and this easy creamy mushroom pasta is one I make again and again. You will, too, once you try it – Enjoy!
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3-3½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1-2 dashes hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup cream heavy/whole or whipping cream
- ½ tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (+ extra for sprinkling)
- 3 cups cooked fettuccine
- In a large pan add the butter, olive oil and garlic, once the butter has melted add the sliced mushrooms, parsley, oregano, salt, hot pepper flakes and water. Cook covered on low/medium until the mushrooms are tender, stirring often, watch that they don't burn.
- While the mushrooms are cooking cook the pasta al dente in boiling salted water.
- Once the mushroom are cooked add the cream, flour and parmesan cheese, stir cooking until thickened (but not overly thick) add the pasta and 3-4 tablespoons pasta water, continue to toss on high heat for approximately 10 seconds, serve immediately sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!