A buttery simple Italian Cookie. These Italian Butter Cookies are perfect anytime. Serve them as a holiday cookie or with tea or coffee in the afternoon.
Italian Butter Cookies
Yes now these are the cookies that every Italian loves and knows how to make.
Sometimes they are dipped in chocolate, sometimes they are made with a cookie press and sometimes made like I make them, rolled and cut with cookie cutters.
I find rolling and cutting the easiest. And that also makes them perfect for the Holidays. These buttery, slightly crunchy cookies are just that and more.
How to make Butter Cookies
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and combine
- Add the sifted flour a little at a time, mixing to combine.
- Form the dough into a ball, then wrap it with plastic and refrigerate.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured flat surface.
- Cut out forms with a cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheets and bake.
- Let cool before serving.
I use salted butter only because I can’t get unsalted in Italy. If you do use unsalted then just add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the flour mixture.
The dough can either be rolled and cut with cutters or rolled into a log and sliced. Whichever you prefer. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar before serving.
How to store
Let the cookies cool completely before storing. Place the cookies in an airtight container. Place sheets of parchment paper between each layer to keep them from sticking to each other.
Place a piece of white bread on top inside the container to keep them fresh. White bread helps to absorb the moisture which will keep the cookies fresh.
Keep the container at room temperature, the cookies should last 3-4 days if properly stored.
How to freeze
Freeze the completely cooled cookies in a freezer safe bag or container in a single layers. If the container is large then separate the layers with a sheet of parchment paper.
The cookies will last up to five months in the freezer.
More Delicious Italian Cookies
So if you are looking to try an Italian cookies this Holiday season I hope you give these Butter Cookies a try. And of course let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Italian Butter Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*If the dough is too soft then add a tablespoon or two of flour to firm it up. It should be soft and firm but not loose.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl on medium speed beat the butter and sugar until creamy approximately 3 minutes, then add the egg and vanilla and combine. Add the sifted flour mixture a little at a time until combined.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured flat surface and gently form into a ball (do not over knead). Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured flat surface and roll (you can use half the dough at a time) to a little thicker then 1/8 inch thick. Place on cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges or lightly golden. Let cool 5-8 minutes then move to cookie rack to cool completely, before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!