A fast and easy to make Italian S Cookie. These simple Biscuits go perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. Have them for Breakfast or Snack.
A few months ago I was sent a copy of Elizabeth Mincilli’s Book “Eating My Way Through Italy“. This is a beautiful book that describes the amazing culinary treasure trove that is Italy.
Elizabeth takes us from the South to the North of Italy, describing the different Regions of Italy. From truffles in Umbria to Pizza in Naples to these tasty S Cookies from Venice.
She not only shares recipes but also stories, and different places to dine and stay in Italy. An interesting and must read travel / cookbook.
So after going through the book, I finally decided on the tasty S Cookies / Esse Biscotti. A simple Italian Cookie that is very popular as a Breakfast cookie eaten and or dunked in your morning Cafe Latte.
How to Make Italian S Cookies
- In a small bowl beat together the egg, egg yolks, lemon zest and vanilla.
- In a large bowl add the flour, make a well in the middle and add the butter, sugar, salt, and egg mixture.
- Mix together with a fork until almost combined.
- Move to a lightly floured flat surface and gently knead just until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for about one hour.
- Break off small pieces of dough and form into an S shape.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Italians love a simple cookie not just for Breakfast, but also in the afternoon with tea or an espresso, or even better as a dessert with a glass of wine.
These cookies are a delicate, slightly crunchy cookie. Made with butter and of course a touch of lemon.
More Italian Cookies
I hope you enjoy these cookies no matter when you decide to eat them!
Italian S Cookies / Esse Biscotti
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3/4 cups + 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch salt
- In a small bowl beat slightly the egg yolks, whole egg, zest and vanilla.
- In a large bowl add the flour, make a well in the middle and add the butter, sugar, salt and egg mixture. With a fork mix until almost combined, then move to a lightly floured flat surface. Knead gently to combine (don't over knead). Dough will be soft. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from the fridge and break off small pieces of dough, soften the dough slightly between your finger and roll into approximately 4-6 inches, form into an S shape. Place on prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 320F (150C) and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy.