This Parmesan Cream Sauce is deliciously creamy. Toss it with your favorite pasta for the perfect quick dinner idea, serve it warm as a dip or even as a sauce over meat or vegetables. Simple and easy never tasted so good!
I have to say my favorite cheese is definitely parmesan. A fresh chunk I could and do eat any time of the day. Make it into a sauce and it’s taken to a whole new level.
- Parmesan cheese
What is authentic Parmesan?
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is authentic or DOP (Denominazione di Origine Protetta which means Protected Designation of Origin), and Parmesan cheese is just an imitation of Parmigiano Reggiano. Reggiano is always made in Italy, while Parmesan can be made anywhere, there are no restrictions on using the name Parmesan. And don’t forget a less expensive but also a DOP choice is Parmigiano Grana Padano.
Why grate your own Parmesan Cheese?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A couple of reasons it’s better to grate your own. It’s cheaper and it tastes so much better. Packaged cheese tends to have a coating to keep the cheese from sticking together. Not a good thing.
You can grate your own cheese with either a Cheese Grater or by placing chunks in your Food Processor and just pulsing a few times until coarsely ground.
Freshly ground parmesan cheese can be kept in a plastic bag or airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can also store it in the freezer for up to 18 months.
How to make Parmesan Cream
In a small pot heat the milk until very hot but do not boil.
In a medium pot over low heat melt the butter, remove from heat and add the flour and whisk until smooth.
Slowly add most of the hot milk, stir until combined, place again on low/medium heat and stirring continually until thickened.
Remove the pot from the heat and add the remaining milk and the parmesan, stir until combined and smooth. Add a dash or 2 of black pepper if desired. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate if not using immediately.
Ways to serve Parmesan Cream Sauce
This sauce is delicious used as a dip from bread sticks to cut up veggies. Serve it warm over vegetables or even potatoes. Or why not toss it with your favorite pasta or use it to make a creamy lasagna? If you want a thinner sauce then just add 2 tablespoons of flour instead of 3.
Tips for making the best Parmesan Sauce
- Be sure to continually stir
- Use the best Parmesan cheese
- A good pot is will help with distributing heat for an even cooking.
- Because Parmesan cheese is on the salty side, additional salt might not be necessary. In fact I didn’t add any to mine.
How to store it
Store it in an airtight container, jar or covered well in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. It will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge.
So if you are looking for a delicious sauce to use in many different ways, I hope you give this Parmesan Cream Sauce a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
More Delicious Sauce Recipes
Parmesan Cream Sauce
- 1¼ cups milk (whole milk) divided
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- In a small pot heat the milk until very hot but do not boil.
- In a medium pot over low heat melt the butter, remove from heat and add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add most of the 1 cup of milk, stir until combined, place again on low/medium heat and stirring continually until thickened.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the remaining ¼ cup of milk and the parmesan cheese, stir until combined and smooth. Add a dash or 2 of black pepper if desired. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate if not using immediately. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply