Peaches and Cream Roll Bread, a soft delicious sweet yeast bread, filled with sliced peaches and covered in a delicate, silky, cream cheese frosting. Peaches and Cream Bread is perfect for breakfast, snacks, or even dessert.
Ever since I started making sweet breads I have been wanting to make something with Peaches, one of my favourite Summertime fruits.
Last Summer I made an Italian Fresh Peach Crumb Cake and this year it’s peach bread. It’s a soft and sweet bread with a swirl of peaches and a cream cheese frosting.
There’s nothing like fresh peaches but they have such a short season! Sometimes I crave them other times of the year and so I’ve adapted this recipe so you can use fresh or canned peaches.
I know you might be thinking “canned peaches?!” but when you really, really want something, why not?! That way you don’t have to wait until summer to make this delicious peaches and cream bread.
For the dough
- Flour – all purpose flour
- Butter – salted or unsalted
- Yeast – active dry yeast
- Sugar – granulated sugar
- Milk – 2% or whole milk
For the Filling
- Peaches – fresh or canned (well drained)
- Lemon juice
- Sugar – granulated
- Corn starch – to help thicken the filling
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream – whole/whipping or heavy cream
- Cream cheese – room temperature whole fat
- Powdered Sugar – also known as icing or confectioners sugar
- Vanilla – for flavoring
What is powered sugar
Powdered sugar, confectioners’ sugar, icing sugar or 10x sugar is granulated sugar that has been pulverized to a powder. To substitute a cup of granulated sugar use 1 3/4 cups of powdered. Although it is not recommended for all recipes. If you have a hard time finding it you can always make your own Powdered Sugar.
Easy Peach Bread Recipe
One good thing about canned peaches is you don’t have to peel them – just slice and go. Just be sure to drain them really well.
If you use fresh peaches, make sure they are ripe but firm. Remove the pits and slice them. I like thin slices so they create a thin layer in the bread.
I like to roll out the dough, layer the sliced peaches on top with butter and then roll it up like a jelly roll. That way, when you slice the bread, you get a swirl of peaches.
Of course, I can’t resist frosting so I topped the baked bread with a lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting. The flavor makes this bread truly a peaches and cream treat! It makes it a special breakfast bread, afternoon snack, or even dessert for after dinner.
How to make Peach Swirl Bread
The first thing I did was I made my easy sweet dough.
Then I rolled it out. I spread the top of the dough with some softened butter, topped it with my sliced peaches mixture.
Then roll it up.
No need to slice it just place it whole in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, let it rise for an hour or two, depending on the warmth of your home
Brush it with some milk and bake it.
When it has cooled completely that’s when you frost it with this silky lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting. I’ve included the ingredients and steps in the card at the end of the post. Adding a little cream instead of milk gives it that creamy richness that we all love.
This is yeast bread and it’s very simple to make. You will need to plan so the dough has time to rest in the refrigerator.
You can make this recipe with other stone fruit like apricots, plums, or apricots. If using fresh, choose fruit that is firm and ripe.
Rolling the bread tightly will keep it from forming holes and tunnels while baking.
Baked sweet bread should have an internal temperature of 200-210F (93-98C). Just to be sure that it is completely baked.
How to store Peach Bread
Keep your bread wrapped in plastic wrap and it will keep for a few days at room temperature.
To freeze it, let it cool completely then wrap well in plastic and place in a freezer safe bag. It will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer. It might be best to freeze it unfrosted.
So however you decide to serve this Peaches and Cream Bread with a tea or coffee as an afternoon snack or even a Breakfast bread, I hope you enjoy it!
More Recipes You Will Love
Peaches and Cream Swirl Bread
- 2 whole peaches thinly sliced* (fresh or canned)
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (sifted)
- 3 tablespoons butter (softened)
SWEET DOUGH BREAD
- ½ cup + 1/2 tablespoon milk (lukewarm) (67.5 grams total)
- 1 ¾ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
If using canned, drain well. If using fresh use firm but ripe peaches.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 ¼ tablespoons cream whole or whipping cream (more or less depending on desired thickness)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup powdered / icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium bowl gently toss together the well drained peaches and lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sugars and corn starch, sprinkle over the peaches and gently combine. Set aside.
SWEET DOUGH BREAD
- In a small bowl, add the warm milk and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit 10 minutes then stir to combine.
- In the stand up mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar. Make a well in the middle and add the egg, butter, and vanilla. Using a paddle attachment, mix the ingredients on speed #1 until almost combined. Switch to a dough hook, add the milk/yeast mixture. Raise the speed to #2 and knead for approximately 7-8 minutes, dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Move the dough to lightly floured flat surface and form into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 40 minutes.
- Lightly grease and flour or add parchment paper to a 9 inch (23cm) loaf pan.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and on a lightly floured flat surface roll it into a 9×13 inch (22×33 cm a bit less if desired) rectangle. Spread with the 3 tablespoons softened butter (leave a little bit of an edge uncovered), top with the peach mixture, roll up tightly starting at short end. Pinch the seam to seal (wet fingers help to seal it). Place the loaf seam side down in the prepared loaf pan. Cover well with a clean tea towel and let rise approximately 2 hours or until doubled in bulk in a draft free warm area.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Before baking brush the dough with a little milk, then bake in the oven for approximately 45-50 minutes (to test for doneness the internal temperature should be 200-210F / 93-98C). Remove from the pan and immediately place on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Enjoy!
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Whisk together cream cheese,sugar and vanilla, gradually add cream until it reaches the desired thickness. Spread on the cooled bread. Enjoy!