This Tomato, Eggplant & Sausage Pasta recipe is the perfect way to add some garden fresh eggplant and fresh herbs. It’s fast, easy and makes the perfect anytime Pasta Dish. Everyone will love it!
This easy pasta dish is a good way to use up some summer eggplant and tomatoes, adding the addition of a couple of Italian sausages makes it perfect. I usually make this dish with a short Penne pasta (the Italian’s favourite) or if you like long pasta, such as spaghetti or bucatini that would work also. So whatever pasta you fancy go for it.
How to make it
Cut the eggplant into cubes and toss with a little salt, leave for about 20 minutes in the bowl
Drain the liquid but do not rinse the eggplant. In a large frying pan on low to medium heat add olive oil, eggplant, chopped sausage, fresh tomatoes, spices, and water.
Stir and continue to cook on low to medium heat, (stirring often) until sausage, tomatoes & eggplant are cooked (we like the tomatoes slightly dried).
Toss with cooked pasta of choice and a half ladle of pasta water, cook on high heat for about 45-60 seconds stirring constantly. Top with fresh chopped basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan cheese, serve immediately.
What is the perfect eggplant?
The best eggplant has a skin that is taut and shiny, the pulp should be spongy and white, and the seeds should be barely visible and not black. Black seeds could be a sign of a bitter eggplant.
How to cook eggplant
Trim the eggplant from the top and the bottom, remove the peel and cut into medium sized chunks. Place in a medium large bowl, sprinkle with 1/2 -1 teaspoon of salt, depending on the amount of eggplant, toss together and let sit for about 20-30 minutes. Drain the excess liquid from the bowl, but never rinse the eggplant.
Can you use canned tomatoes?
Yes you can, just be sure to use peeled tomatoes, that have nothing added to the can. The canned tomatoes should be added with the spices and water once the eggplant starts to become translucent and the sausage starts to brown. Cook on low heat until it starts to thicken.
Creamy Pasta Boscaiola with Mushrooms & Sausage
So if you are looking for a new way to serve eggplant then why don’t you give this Tomato, Eggplant & Sausage Pasta Recipe a try and let me know what you think. Buon Appetito!
Tomato, Eggplant and Sausage Pasta
- 2 medium eggplants (skinned and cut into cubes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 Italian sausages (skinned & broken into pieces)
- 14 grape or cherry tomatoes (halved)*
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves (or 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1-2 pinches hot pepper flakes if desired
- 1/4 cup water (60 grams)
* 1 can of Pelati Tomatoes (nothing added) is a good substitute.
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for topping
- 3-4 cups cooked pasta of choice
- In a medium/large bowl add the cubed eggplant toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt, leave for about 20-30 minutes, drain any excess liquid but do not rinse before adding to the pan.
- In a large frying pan on low to medium heat, add the olive oil, the eggplant, chopped sausage, fresh tomatoes*, spices, and water, stir and continue to cook on low to medium heat, (stirring often, so the mixture does not burn) until sausage, tomatoes & eggplant are cooked (we like the tomatoes slightly dried). Toss with 3 -4 cups cooked pasta and 1/2 a ladle of pasta water, cook on high heat for about 45-60 seconds stirring constantly. Top with fresh chopped basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan cheese, serve immediately. Enjoy!
*If using canned tomatoes add with spices once the eggplant starts to become translucent and the sausage starts to brown.
Updated from September 9, 2014
Leave a Reply