Leftover Skillet Turkey Pasta, an easy Pasta recipe, just add some of your favourite veggies such as mushrooms, tomatoes and peppers add some leftover cut up chicken or turkey and Dinner is Served.
As I plan my Christmas lunch menu, a typical Italian Christmas, Lasagna, Roast Potatoes, Roast Lamb, Roast Pork or Stuffed Flank Steak. I remember last Christmas when we were all together under the same roof in Toronto. Laughing, eating, drinking wine and telling stories.
And this year it’s different for everyone, both our kids are now in Canada and we are in Italy, of course we are all feeling a little melancholy. But we will zoom as most of the world will be doing, and we will all look forward to our reunions in hopefully the near future. But if you are like me you will still make something tasty even if it is for just 1 or a few more.
If you make turkey or even chicken and you would like to use the leftovers for something other than soup, then I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this Pasta dish.
How to make it
In a large pan on medium heat add the olive oil, onions, sliced peppers , mushrooms and spices and cook stirring occasionally
Add the white wine, turn up heat to high and cook until it evaporates, turn heat down to medium, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for approximately 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add the cooked turkey (or chicken) and heat thoroughly.
Then add the cooked pasta and a little bit of pasta water, cook on high heat stirring often for about a minute. Serve immediately sprinkled with parmesan cheese if desired.
The best vegetables to use
For this dish I like to use mushrooms, onions and bell peppers but you could use carrots, cauliflower, kale, olives or even spinach.
How to store it
Let the dish cool completely then place it in an air tight container and refrigerate. It will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge.
This dish works well with either cooked turkey or chicken. I decided to mix it up with a couple of my favourite vegetables almost like a Turkey Cacciatore stir-fry. Fast, easy and really good. You don’t even have to wait for left overs just chop up a boneless chicken breast, sautee it in a little olive oil, sprinkle with some salt, pepper and oregano and then add it to the veggies. Buon Appetito!
Leftover Skillet Turkey Pasta
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ½-1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1-2 medium bell peppers (thinly sliced)
- 1- 1½ cups mushrooms (thinly sliced) (100-150)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoon white wine if desired
- 2-3 ripe plum tomatoes seeded and cubed, or 2-3 canned Marzano tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1-1 ½ cup chopped cooked turkey or chicken (140-210 grams)
- 3-4 cups cooked Pasta (short pasta)* (600 grams)
*3 cups cooked pasta is approximately 2 cups dry.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot, add a little salt and halfway through the cooking of the vegetables add the pasta to the water and cook until al dente.
- In a large pan on medium heat add the olive oil, garlic, onions, sliced pepper, mushrooms, oregano, basil and salt, cook for approximately 10 minutes stirring occasionally, then add the white wine, turn up heat to high and cook until it evaporates approximately 2 minutes, turn heat down to medium, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for approximately 5 minutes stirring occasionally, add the cooked turkey (or chicken) and heat thoroughly, (taste for salt) add the cooked pasta and 1/2 a ladle of pasta water, cook for approximately 30-60 seconds on high heat stirring often. Serve immediately sprinkled with parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!
Updated from December 23, 2015.