Strawberries and Cream Vertical Layer Cake, a delicious cream filled roll cake turned upside down! This beautiful cake is a definite “Wow” Layer Cake.
The perfect summer fresh fruit Dessert idea, made with fresh whipped cream and berries. You can’t go wrong.
Vertical Layer Cake
Quite a while ago, a friend lent me her mother’s written recipe book and believe me this is gold, because her mother was an amazing cook and baker.
So when I found a recipe for a Cake Roll I knew I wanted to try it again. But different. So after checking out Pinterest and Google I discovered this Vertical Layer Cake. And I loved it.
Well the recipe for the Cake Roll worked like a charm, the only thing was, I was forced to make the cake twice.
The first time my husband and daughter loved it, but the question was “what happened did you run out of ingredients for the filling”? Yeah it was a bit bare.
The next day I redid it and this time I did not skimp on the filling!
How to make a Vertical Layer Cake (see video)
- Spread the cake batter as evenly as possible on the prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes (tooth pick comes out clean).
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately dust with powdered sugar.
- Cover the cake with a clean dish towel and roll.
- Let the roll rest until it is cool approximately, 30 minutes.
- Carefully unroll the cake (even if you have a couple of cracks don’t worry, the filling will cover it).
- Spread the cake with a good layer of Strawberry Jam.
- Top with 1/3 of the Cream Filling
- Cut 4 strips as even as possible.
- The first strip roll up and place on a clean plate.
- Wrap the remaining strip around the roll.
- Cover with remaining filling, top with fresh berries. Refrigerate until serving. Delicious!
One thing about roll cakes is and yes it happens to all of us, the cake may break in some places, but don’t worry, it all gets covered up with some frosting and nobody will know the difference.
Strawberry and Cream Vertical Layer Cake
For the filling you are going to want to use a Stabilized Whipped Cream, because you want a firm filling that is going to hold up, so you can do this three ways,
- Using gelatin
- Adding some mascarpone.
- Buying it in liquid form at the grocery store and then whipping it at home.
What do I prefer? Actually I use all three when I need to. For the first Vertical Layer Cake I used the gelatin mixture and for the second cake I used some mascarpone I had in the fridge.
We have a pretty good store bought here so once in awhile I will use that too. But to tell the truth I prefer mascarpone, it makes a nice thick filling, and with that creamy taste you can’t go wrong.
By the way I think this Strawberry and Cream Vertical Layer Cake would make the perfect Canada Day or Fourth of July Dessert. What do you think? Enjoy!
More Delicious Summer Desserts
Strawberries and Cream Vertical Layer Cake
- 4 eggs separated
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons flour (175 grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup strawberry jam
STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
- 2 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
- 10 teaspoons cold water
- 2 1/2 cups whole or whipping cream (575 grams)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon icing sugar (39.05 grams)
MASCARPONE CREAM FILLING
- 1/2 cup mascarpone (112.5 grams)
- 2 cups whole or whipping cream (460 grams)
- 1-2 tablespoons icing / powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C), line a 11.5 x 15.5 inch roll cake pan (30 x 40 centimeters).
- In a medium bowl beat egg whites and water until stiff, add sugar and vanilla and beat to combine.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks for 2 minutes add egg white mixture and beat to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Gently fold into egg white mixture.
- Spread as evenly as possible on prepared pan and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes (tooth pick comes out clean). Remove from oven, immediately dust with powdered sugar (approximately 1/4 cup) cover with a clean dish towel and roll (see video), let rest until cool approximately 30 minutes, carefully unroll (even if you have a couple of cracks don't worry, the filling will cover it).
- Spread with a good layer of Strawberry Jam (1/4 - 1/2 cup approximately) and Top with 1/3 of the Cream Filling (either the stablilized whipped cream the Mascarpone Cream filling or Store bought). Cut 4 strips as even as possible. The first strip roll up and place on a clean plate, wrap the remaining strip around it (see video). Cover with remaining filling, top with fresh berries. Refrigerate until serving. Enjoy!
STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
- In a small pot combine gelatin and cold water, let stand for approximately 10 minutes or until thick, place over low heat, stirring constantly just until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool (but not set). In a medium bowl whip cream and icing sugar until soft peaks form, continue beating add gelatin, whip on high until stiff.
MASCARPONE CREAM FILLING
- Whip together mascarpone and cream (if you wish you can add a couple of tablespoons of icing sugar) until thick peaks form.
Updated from May 17, 2017.