Strawberry cake is a delicious dessert that is perfect anytime. This homemade cake is a classic dessert that everyone will love. Whether you are making it for a special occasion or just looking for a sweet treat to enjoy, it can be served plain with a dusting of powdered sugar or with a scoop of ice cream. This tasty cake has no need for a frosting.
Once again we are heading into the warmer weather and spring and summer fruit. That means depending on where you live you will be purchasing fresh strawberries soon.
And what batter way to show off that fruit than with a Homemade Strawberry cake. This cake is moist, with a fabulous taste. It is a bit denser, because it is based on Italian cakes that are made from scratch, and of course the addition of strawberries will make a cake denser.
We have always been big strawberry dessert lovers. I love making a Strawberry quick bread, or even a tasty Tiramisu or why not try making Homemade Jam? And of course you can’t forget this easy and delicious Strawberry Mousse.
If you are lucky enough to have lots of leftover fresh strawberries that you don’t want to go to waste, this is the best way to freeze them.
Ingredients to make a Strawberry Cake
- Flour – cake or pastry flour
- Baking powder
- Sugar – granulated sugar
- Eggs – large eggs and a yolk- room temperature
- Vanilla – vanilla extract
- Butter – melted and cooled
- Milk – room temperature milk 2% or whole milk
- Strawberries – fresh strawberries – look for strawberries without blemishes and that are firm but ripe.
How to Make Cake Flour
For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons and replace with two tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the flour and cornstarch together a couple of times, this way it is sure to be properly combined and lump free. Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise.
Why use room temperature ingredients?
Room temperature ingredients help to produce light tender baked good, in this case a cake. The ingredients will come together smoother with a lump free batter.
How to make an Easy Strawberry Cake recipe
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Clean the strawberries and slice.
In the stand mixer with the paddle attachment or large bowl beat on medium speed the eggs, yolk and sugar and until light and fluffy.
Beat in the butter on high speed, beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed, start to combine, add the milk beat just until combined, do not over beat.
Fold in the sliced strawberries.
Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, sprinkle with Demerara sugar or granulated sugar if desired.
Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick comes out dry or with a few crumbs attached.
Let the cake cool in the pan approximately 20 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream before serving.
How to Clean Strawberries
Leave the stem on the strawberries when washing, it helps the strawberries absorb less water (make sure to never soak the strawberries in water). Place the strawberries in a large colander.
Rinse the strawberries under cold water. Moving them gently with your hand to remove any dirt. Pat them dry with a paper towel, then slice or chop as required.
What makes a cake fall?
- There are a lot a reasons a cake may fall, but the most common ones are, your oven temperature is off, you can always check it with an oven thermometer to check this. You open the oven door too early, you shouldn’t open it before 30 minutes has passed.
- Once the batter is mixed it should be baked, letting a cake batter sit too long can cause it to fall. The baking powder or baking soda usually start acting immediately and will only last for a very short period of time, therefore if the cake batter is left to stand before baking then there is always a risk that the baking powder or soda will have expired by the time that the cake goes into the oven.
- Your baking powder or soda has expired and is no long active.
- The pan size might not be the correct size, sometimes using a bundt pan will help.
Strawberry Cake FAQs
Yes you can use vegetable oil instead of the melted butter.
Yes you can make cupcakes, this 8 inch cake will make about 12 cupcakes.
Strawberries are a nutritious addition to your diet. Strawberries have the fewest carbohydrates of all the types of berries. They are packed with vitamins including vitamin C, antioxidants, are a low potassium food, are also low in sodium and phosphorus and have a good source or calcium.
Yes you can, they don’t need to be thawed before using in the recipe.
How to store a Strawberry Cake
The cake should be stored in an airtight container or a covered cake dish. It will keep at room temperature for approximately 2-3 days, or keep it in the fridge for up to 5-6 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
How to freeze the cake
Once the cake is completely cooled, wrap it tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag or container. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight on the countertop before serving.
So the next time you are looking for a delicious cake recipes I hope you give this Strawberry Cake a try and let me know how you like it. Enjoy!
Homemade Strawberry Cake
- 1½ cups + 1¾ tablespoons cake/pastry flour (200 grams total)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup butter (melted and cooled)*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk (room temperature)
- 1¾ cups strawberries
*If using unsalted butter or vegetable oil add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- 1-2 tablespoons Demerara sugar or granulated sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour or spray an 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside. Clean and slice the strawberries.
- In the stand mixer with the paddle attachment or large bowl beat on medium speed the eggs, yolk and sugar and until light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Beat in the butter on high speed, then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed, start to combine, add the milk beat just until combined, do not over beat. Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, sprinkle with Demerara sugar if desired, bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out dry or with a few crumbs attached. Let the cake cool in the pan approximately 20-25 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream before serving. Enjoy!