Easy Baked Stuffed Peppers, filled with an Italian herb bread crumb mixture and delicious melted cheese. The perfect main dish or appetizer!
This past weekend a small group of us, friends who have become like family, spent three days discovering a few towns in the provinces of Umbria and Marche.
This town was one of the most beautiful towns I have ever seen. A sight to behold and a must see, Gubbio.
Gubbio is a medieval town and also the oldest one in the Umbria region.
We walked through the old part of Gubbio and we saw churches, the Abbey, the palace and a lot of craft shops selling typical products of the region, such as leather, pottery and embroidery.
I could probably spend the rest of my life just discovering all these breathtaking, small towns in Italy. Maybe one day I will start doing just that. But for now I will continue to share my Italian recipes instead with all of you.
So what does baked stuffed peppers have to do with Gubbio? Nothing actually, although I do love both! Peppers done this way are perfection, they’re tender and with a delicious cheese filling.
How to Make Stuffed Peppers
- Slice in half small to medium sized bell peppers
- Clean the peppers
- Add the bread crumb mixture
- Top with chopped cheese and tomatoes
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
More Delicious Pepper Recipes
These Baked Stuffed Peppers are a delicious dish to make when you are looking for a meatless main dish or side dish! Buon Appetito!
Double Cheese Baked Stuffed Peppers
- 2-3 small or medium bell peppers (cut in half and cleaned)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup cubed swiss cheese (substitute with firm mozzarella, gruyere)
- 1 large ripe firm tomato cubed (seeds removed)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (180 degrees celsius)
- In a medium bowl mix together bread crumbs, parmesan, olive oil, salt and spices.
- Cut peppers in half, and clean.
- Lightly grease a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil, place peppers cut side up, sprinkle with bread crumb mixture, top with cubes of swiss cheese and tomato cubes. Drizzle lightly with olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 20-30 minutes, until peppers are tender. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Republished from August 26, 2014.