Italian Roasted Peppers, the perfect Grilled Appetizer, peppers tossed with fresh parsley, garlic and olive oil, so easy and delicious, make this your next appetizer!
I think one of my favourite Italian dishes must be appetizers, probably because a lot of them are made with vegetables, and bread is always served on the side. Nothing like dipping your Italian bread in the olive oil that remains on the bottom of the bowl.
This Italian Grilled Pepper Appetizer is one of our favourites and it is Incredibly delicious. And it uses just a few ingredients.
- Peppers – green or red (nicely formed)
- Garlic – fresh garlic cloves
- Italian parsley – also known as flat leaf parsley
- Olive oil – extra virgin, good quality olive oil
How to make Roasted Peppers
Heat your pan grill (or barbecue), keep the heat fairly high, place the peppers on top and continue to cook, turning until burnt all over. Remove from heat and place in a paper bag or bowl and cover with plastic.
Clean the peppers, slice in half, remove seeds and skin and cut into thin strips, (don’t rinse peppers under water, hands yes, peppers no).
Place pepper strips in a medium bowl, add the garlic, parsley, olive oil and salt, toss gently until combined. Let sit a bit for flavours to mingle before serving.
Italian appetizers are usually quite simple but so flavourful. It makes you wonder how all that taste can come from just a few ingredients.
What makes the Best Roasted Peppers
- Make sure to roast the peppers until burnt.
- Let them sit for 15-20 minutes in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or a paper bag like my mother-in-law always did.
- Remove seeds but do not rinse the peppers.
- Toss with fresh herbs and good quality olive oil.
- Let everything mingle for about an hour before serving.
Can I roast peppers in the oven?
Yes you can, place the whole peppers on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a 425F / 220C oven for approximately 20-30 minutes until done. Move to a clean bowl cover and let sit 20 minutes then clean and rip or cut into strips.
How to Store Roasted Peppers
Left over roasted peppers should be stored in a sterilized jar with a tight fitting lid, make sure the peppers are covered in olive oil. Opened jars can be kept in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks. If any mold appears or there is an off smell, toss the peppers.
Roasted peppers can also be frozen, place cleaned roasted peppers in an airtight freezer bag or container. They will last 10-12 months in the freezer.
How to sterilize jars
I prefer to use the boiling water method – Wash the jars with hot soapy water before sterilizing. Make sure they are completely clean. Place the jars and lids upright in a large pot.
Fill the pot with water, make sure the water covers the jars by an inch (2.5 cm). Bring the water to a full, strong boil and continue to boil for at least 10 minutes.
Remove the jars and lids from the hot water (tongs work best) and place them on a couple of paper towels to dry. Make sure the sterilized jars do not come in contact with anything but the paper towels. You could also sterilize the jars in your dishwasher on the hot water cycle if you prefer.
Be sure to fill the jars, when they and the tomatoes are both still warm. Adding hot food to cold jars or cold food to hot jars will cause the jars to crack or shatter.
More Pepper Recipes to try:
- Double Cheese Baked Stuffed Peppers
- Italian Chicken & Tomato Skillet with Roasted Peppers
- Italian Meatballs in a Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
- Pasta Pepper Cream Sauce
- Roasted Pepper Pasta Salad
- Italian Sausage & Peppers
- Italian Fried Peppers
So if you are heating up the Grill or BBQ this weekend, do yourself a favour and throw on a couple of peppers! Buon Appetito!
Italian Roasted Peppers
- 3 medium peppers (nicely formed)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat your pan grill (or barbecue), keep the heat fairly high, place the peppers on top and continue to cook, turning until burnt all over.
- Remove from heat and place in a paper bag or bowl and cover with plastic, let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Clean the peppers, slice in half, remove seeds and skin and cut into thin strips, (don't rinse peppers under water, hands yes, peppers no).
- Place pepper strips in a medium bowl, add garlic, Italian parsley, olive oil and salt, toss gently until combined. Let sit 30-60 minutes for flavours to mingle. Serve with fresh Italian bread or bruschetta. Buon Appetito!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Updated from May 22, 2017.