This fast and easy Italian Sausage and Peppers is the perfect anytime dinner recipe. A tasty one skillet recipe that is low carb and gluten free. Choose spicy or mild sausages.
Sausage and Peppers
Sausage and Peppers is one of the perfect combinations. This is your typical quick meal when you have very little time. I love serving it with some crusty Italian bread.
If you are looking to add some carbs then why not serve it over some pasta or rice? Italian Sausage and Peppers becomes one of the best comfort foods for those beautiful Fall days.
How to make Sausage and Peppers
- Slice the peppers into long strips.
- Slice the sausages into bite size pieces.
- In a medium to large frying pan add a little olive oil and the sausages, cook until slightly browned.
- Add the slice peppers, spices and a little water.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Cook uncovered for another 10-15 minutes on medium high heat.
- Serve with some crusty bread or even over rice or noodles.
What is the best sausage to use?
We like a spicy Italian sausage, but mild would work too. If you prefer a turkey sausage then you can experiment with your favourite.
More Delicious Sausage Recipes
- Fresh Tomatoes & Sausage Pasta
- Italian Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Zucchini
- Easy Italian Lentils & Sausage Stew
- Gram’s Calzone with Sausage and Cheese
- One Pan Veggies & Italian Sausage
How to store Sausage and Peppers
Store the cooked sausage and peppers in an airtight bag or container in the fridge. It will last up to three to four days.
You could also freeze the cooked recipe. Let the dish come to room temperature, then immediately place in a freezer bag or freezer safe container. It will keep for up to six months in the freezer.
Be sure to defrost the sausage & peppers in the fridge and either warm in the oven or microwave.
What is the difference between the different coloured Peppers?
Red, green, yellow and orange bell peppers are all the same type of pepper. The only difference is that they are all at different stages of ripeness.
Green peppers are not yet ripe, red ones are fully ripe, and yellow and orange are the in betweens. In other words the longer they are on the vine the healthier they are.
Which makes red peppers the healthiest and sweetest of all. But a nice combination of the three or four colours, I find the most delicious.
So if you are looking for a quick, easy and delicious Dinner Recipe I hope you give this Sausage and Peppers a try. Buon Appetito!
Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 Italian sausages (cut into large bite size pieces)
- 3 large peppers sliced (any colour you want, although I like a mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1-2 dashes pepper or hot pepper flakes
- 1-2 springs rosemary
- 1/2-1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large pan add the olive oil and sliced sausage, cook turning often, for approximately two minutes on medium heat or until lightly browned.
- Add the sliced peppers, spices and water. Cover the pan and cook on low/medium heat for approximately 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove the cover and cook stirring occasionally (so it doesn't burn) on medium/high (not too high) heat for approximately 10-15 minutes or until cooked. Serve immediately. Enjoy!