This tasty Stuffed Zucchini Dish, made with Italian Sausage & Cheese is the perfect way to use up your overload of zucchini. These easy to make Stuffed Zucchini Boats will become a family favourite.
It’s zucchini time! Which means they are coming up everywhere and since I love to try new recipes or even old delicious ones my mother-in-law used to make. Such as these!
- Grilled Zucchini Lasagna
- Italian Savory Zucchini Pie
- Zucchini Cake Donuts with Light Cream Cheese Frosting
- Baked Zucchini Stuffed with Meat
I remember how she would even slice them up add them to a pan with olive oil, fresh chopped parsley, salt and of course a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes, cook them until they were golden (because no one liked mushy zucchini)!
And then toss them with some al dent penne pasta. So good, and a fast and easy way to get dinner on the table.
What are the Ingredients for Stuffed Zucchini?
- 6 medium zucchini
- bread crumbs
- mascarpone or double cream
- firm mozzarella, fontina or gruyere cheese
- Italian mild or spicy sausage
- Parmesan cheese
- and of course a few spices
How to make Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Zucchini
- Slice the ends off the zucchini and boil in lightly salted water.
- Let cool enough to handle, then slice in half lengthwise and remove the pulp.
- Chop the zucchini pulp.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Gently mix together with a spatula.
- Stuff the hollowed out zucchini boats and place in a baking pan.
- Sprinkle the boats with extra parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
Is Zucchini good for you?
Zucchini is very good for you, it has zero fat, it’s high in water and fiber. It also contains vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, and K, and minerals, like potassium and manganese.
The summer squash also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory it also helps with blood circulation and helps your heart stay healthy!
How to cook the zucchini
I recommend boiling the zucchini first then slicing in half lengthwise and removing the pulp in the middle. The pulp is then added into the stuffing ingredients and baked.
How to Store Baked Zucchini
The stuffed zucchini should be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for three to four days. Freezing baked zucchini is probably not a good idea because the zucchini will get soggy.
Although freezing the stuffing is a great idea. Make the stuffing (without the zucchini pulp) place in an airtight container and freeze, it will keep for up to 3 months.
Thaw the stuffing in the fridge then just fold in the zucchini pulp when ready to bake.
So if you are like me and always looking for a new way to use up your Summer Zucchini, then I hope you give this Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Zucchini a try and let me know how you like it. Buon Appetito!
Italian Sausage & Cheese Stuffed Zucchini
- 3 medium-large zucchini
- 1-2 Italian sausage* (mild or hot)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- ¼ cup mascarpone or double cream (55 grams)
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 2 dashes pepper or hot pepper flakes if preferred
- ¼ teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 cup shredded firm mozzarella/ gruyere or fontal cheese (120 grams)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated (50 grams)
*the amount of sausage is 1/2 cup cooked (65 grams)
- 1- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C). Lightly drizzle a medium size baking pan with 1 – 1½ tablespoon of olive oil.
- Trim the ends off the zucchini, then cook in salted boiling water for approximately 10-15 minutes (tender but not mushy) then drain and emerge in cold water. When cool enough to handle slice down the middle lengthwise and remove the pulp with a small spoon, chop the pulp and set aside. Place the zucchini boats cut side up on prepared baking pan.
- In a small frying pan add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, remove the casing from the sausages and break into small pieces, fry until golden. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl gently mix together the zucchini pulp, Italian sausage, eggs, bread crumbs, mascarpone, salt, pepper, parsley, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Fill the zucchini boats with the mixture, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
Updated from July 16, 2019.