This Easy Italian Bean Salad is delicious either warm or cold. Made with good for you Beans and fresh ingredients. A healthy main dish or even side dish recipe.
This was another wonderful recipe that I learned from my mother-in-law. Naturally she would use beans planted in her garden. I was never a big bean lover but I sure learned to eat a lot of different foods, thanks to Maria. I’m sure everyone will love this one.
This is a great salad for a family get together, a BBQ or even a Picnic. It can be eaten warm or cold. I have been know to eat it straight out of the fridge without sharing!
How to dry beans:
- Dry beans have to be soaked for at least 8 hours.
The night before, soak the beans in a large bowl of water, (then after the 8 hours drain and rinse) and they are ready for cooking.
How to make it
- In a medium pot add the beans and cover with water until one inch (2.5 cm) from the top.
- Cover and cook on medium/high heat until boiling, once it starts to boil the half uncover and continue to cook until the beans are tender.
- Remove cooked beans from the pot leaving the bean juice (do not throw out).
- In a medium bowl add the chopped onion, celery and flaked tuns, gently toss together, the add the cooked beans, salt, olive oil and a little bean juice, again toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Can I use Different Beans?
You can substitute Borlotti beans with Pinto beans, Cannellini beans or even Kidney beans.
Can I use canned?
Yes you can used canned, be sure to drain the beans first, if the liquid in the can is very thick then just thin it out with a little water. Using canned beans makes this a quick and easy salad recipe.
How to store
The bean salad should be refrigerated in an airtight containers. If stored properly it will last for up to 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
More Bean Recipes
This is one of those things that I pull out of the fridge as leftovers for dinner and I eat half of it as I’m setting the table and then I think “hell, now what?” It’s almost gone!
I make this Bean Salad all year round, it even makes a great appetizer. But however you serve it, appetizer or main course, I am sure you will love it. Buon Appetito!
Easy Borlotti Bean Salad
- 1 1/4 cups dried borlotti beans (225 grams)
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 small cans flaked tuna (160 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (40 grams)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup bean juice (more or less as desired) (57 to 115, liquid left in the pot after beans are cooked)
- The dried beans have to be soaked for at least 8 hours, so the night before soak beans in a large bowl of water, (then after the 8 hours drain and rinse).
- In a medium pot add the drained beans and cover with an inch (2 1/2 cm) of water. Cover and cook on medium/high heat until boiling, once boiling half uncover and continue to cook until tender, approximately 50 minutes (might need to go longer so taste a bean after 40 minutes and then again after 10 minutes, until cooked to desired tenderness). With a slotted spoon remove cooked beans from the pot leaving the bean juice.
- In a medium bowl, add chopped onion, celery, and flaked tuna, toss gently to combine, then add cooked beans, salt, oil and bean juice, again toss gently to combine. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Buon Appetito!
Updated from April 28, 2014.