It’s mid November and deep into Fall, but here in my part of Italy we are still awaiting its arrival. The weather has been beautiful with highs of 18-20 Celsius (64-68 ° Fahrenheit) most days and only a couple of rainy days last week.
Believe it or not they even closed the schools in our region for a day. OK in all fairness I have to say when it rains in certain parts of this country it can be downright scary, but fortunately not too much where we are. So when my youngest daughter said that the schools were closed it made me think of all those hard cold winters in Canada.
I can’t remember a day when the schools or businesses were closed. So my question is: are we letting our kids and ourselves become too lazy and laid back? Maybe! So what did I do on that rainy-no-school-day? I made this amazing Two Bean Soup. The perfect fall soup. Comforting, filling and so yummy!
This two Bean Soup is filled with cannellini and borlotti beans, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes and some delicious shredded swiss chard, oh and don’t forget all those amazing spices, with just the smell of the aroma you will be able to imagine how delicious this Two Bean Soup is.
What I love so much about this soup is that it not only tastes amazing but it is also really healthy. Remember to use dried beans and not canned, just soak your dried beans over night, rinse them before you cook them and you are ready to go. A one pot super easy Two Bean Soup.
Serve this soup alone or with a slice or two of a crusty Italian bread and you have just served the perfect fall /winter comfort soup, no matter what your weather is. Buon Appetito!
- 3/4 cup borlotti beans (dried soak for 8-10 hours, rinse before cooking), 142 grams
- 3/4 cup cannellini beans (dried soak for 8-10 hours, rinse before cooking), 161 grams
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 26 grams
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano 3/4 gram
- 1 teaspoon basil 3/4 gram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 grams
- hot pepper flakes to taste
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 can diced tomatoes nothing added
- 5 cups water
- 2-3 cups swiss chard chopped
- In a large pot add olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, beans, tomatoes, water, bouillon, oregano, basil, bay leaf, salt, hot pepper flakes and rosemary, stir to combine, bring to a boil then lower and simmer for approximately 1 hour, in the last 10 minutes (beans should be tender) add the chopped swiss chard, stir to combine, (at this point taste for salt you might need to add some extra salt) and finish simmering until beans are tender. Serve hot. Enjoy!