Brown Sugar Cookies a delicious alternative to regular Sugar Cookies, these are fast, easy and so good. Made with only 6 ingredients made and baked in 20 minutes.
When I first moved to Italy, I missed everything from my homeland, Canada. I missed my family, friends, my Mom’s Cooking and of course Her Baking, my job, my busy, busy city and oh let’s not forget the malls!
Looking back now I wonder how the heck I did it. Needless to say, it was all worth it, I have a good husband and 2 amazing and beautiful daughters. But those first few years were so difficult (who am I kidding probably the first 20 years!).
To tell the truth, it’s still very hard sometimes, especially with my eldest daughter who has moved to Canada. And how wonderful that I am here now visiting with her.
If it wasn’t for visits from family and friends, I’m sure it would have been unbearable. I was always so elated to hear we were going to have visitors and even more elated when I heard those magic words “would you like us to bring something for you from Canada?”
Would I? I thought you would never ask, and if they didn’t ask, I wouldn’t hesitate to request a goody-bag.
Brown Sugar Cookies
One of my top requests was always brown sugar. Brown sugar isn’t available there, there’s only cane sugar.
And then when I learned that I could make my own brown sugar with molasses, oh that was a happy day for me.
By the way, molasses isn’t available there either, but it fits better in a suitcase and it lasts longer. And yes it is on my list.
The reason brown sugar was always on the top of my list was because I love to make these Easy Brown Sugar Cookies. A dear friend of mine sent me this recipe the first year I got married.
They’re so delicious and they’re even better since I started to drizzle some semi-sweet chocolate over them. So I hope these brown sugar cookies bring you a little bit of the comfort and good feelings that they brought me. Enjoy!
Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies
- ½ cup butter (softened)* (118 grams)
- ½ cup brown sugar (lightly packed) (110 grams)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour (268 grams)
- 1 pinch salt*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
*If using unsalted butter then add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the mixing bowl with the flat beaters beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy, approximately 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar and beat 1-2 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat on low speed until mixed. Fold in the pecans.
- Drop by spoonfuls on the prepared cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until when lightly touched in the centre no indentation remains. Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!