It’s not the holidays without Sugar Cookies, and these Lemon Cut-Out Cookies are perfect for your holiday dessert tray. The perfect cookies for lemon lovers.
Tis the season for Christmas Cookie baking and yes I tend to make a lot of Lemon cookies and desserts. We can’t seem to get enough of them. Especially the Italian.
As much as I love chocolate, he loves lemon.
- All Purpose flour – be sure to use a flour with at least 11% protein, this will keep the cookies from spreading.
- Baking powder
- lemon zest
- Butter – I use salted butter so if you use unsalted then add 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Sugar – granulated or even better caster or very fine sugar (not powdered/icing sugar)
- Egg – large
- Lemon Juice – fresh lemon juice is best.
These Lemon Sugar Cookies are good anytime of the year, not just the holidays. Delicious in the afternoon with a tea or coffee. They are soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
How to make Sugar Cookies
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and zest. In the stand up mixer using the flat beater cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla and lemon juice and combine.
Add the whisked flour mixture and combine. Move to a lightly floured flat surface and gently form into a ball.
Refrigerate the dough for an hour or two. Roll dough into about 1/4 inch thick (a little thicker if you like) and cut with round cookie cutter or cutters of choice. Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheets and chill while the oven is pre-heating.
Sprinkle with plain or lemon sugar. Bake in pre-heated oven for about 7-9 minutes.
Let the cookies cool on the sheets for a couple of minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
I like to roll my dough probably a 1/4 inch sometimes a little thicker. We aren’t much of a frosting family, but sometimes a simple glaze works well. But if you do prefer frosting then a butter cream frosting would work.
Why chill cookie dough?
The main reason for chilling the cookie dough before baking is to solidify the fat in the cookies. As the cookies are baking, the chilled fat in the dough will take longer to melt then room temperature fat. Therefore the cookies will spread less.
How to make Lemon Sugar
In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the zest of 1/2 a lemon. Rub together between your fingers or use the bottom of a spoon. Let sit for about 15 minutes before using.
They should never brown, the cookies are done as soon as they are set and have some colour, but be careful that it’s not too much. They should also start to crack across the centre.
The cooled cookies should be stored in an airtight container, separated by parchment paper. They should be kept in a cool dry area and will last up to five days.
They can also be frozen, make sure they are completely cooled and place in a freezer safe bag or container. They will keep up to two to three months in the freezer if properly stored.
Be sure to take them out of the container or bag and let sit at room temperature, so that condensation doesn’t form and make them soggy.
So if you are a lemon lover like us, why not give these Lemon Sugar Cookies a try and let me know. Enjoy!
More Delicious Lemon recipes to try
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (at least 11% protein) (268 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- zest of ½-1 lemon
- ⅔ cup + 1½ tablespoons butter (softened)* (170 grams)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
*If you use unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup powdered / icing sugar (62 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk / cream or lemon juice (or a mixture)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and zest. Set aside.
- In the stand up mixer using the flat beater cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla and lemon juice and combine.
- Add the whisked flour mixture and combine. Move to a lightly floured flat surface and gently form into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Then roll the dough into 1/4 inch thick (or a little thicker if you wish) and cut with round cookie cutter or cutters of choice. Place the cookies on parchment paper lined cookie sheets and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes while the oven is pre-heating.
- Pre-heat oven 350F (180C).
- Sprinkle with plain or lemon sugar. Bake in pre-heated oven for about 7-9 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheets for approximately 2-3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with glaze if desired. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and zest by rubbing together.
- In a small bowl mix together until smooth, icing sugar, vanilla, cream, milk or lemon juice, should be quite thick. (if you want it thicker add more powdered sugar/icing sugar).