This Chocolate Chip Cake is a quick and easy moist cake made even more delicious with a Streusel Topping. No need for a mixer! The best cake for snack or dessert. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea!
Easy Streusel Chocolate Chip Cake
In my past life, the first 30 years of my life in other words, I could not get enough of those heavily frosted cakes, any and all of them. I actually remember when I was four years old and my mom had just finished frosting the Sunday dessert cake, (yup we had cake every Sunday), she walked out of the room and I proceeded to lick allll that icing off the cake!
She wasn’t impressed that she had to re-frost it! But I sure loved it.
And now in my present life, I have found that I much more appreciate no-frosted cakes, Italian style with a dusting of powdered sugar or if I want to go all out, a streusel topped cake.
Put on the pot or kettle and grab a slice, my idea of the perfect afternoon snack.
How to make A Streusel Chocolate Chip Cake
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the cold butter and mix until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the crumbly mixture to a small bowl, stir in the cinnamon, you now have your topping, set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the milk, eggs, and vanilla and beat with a fork until combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the cake pan and sprinkle with the topping and bake.
- Let cool before serving.
What does stir just until moistened mean?
Mix just until moistened means to combine the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened but the mixture is still slightly lumpy. I stir 15-16 times only and it always turns out perfect.
Be sure not to over stir or your resulting cake will be dense and tough.
How to keep the chocolate chips from sinking
All you have to do is toss the chocolate chips in a teaspoon of flour before folding into the batter, that little trick will keep your chips from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
This not only works with chips but also with nuts, fresh berries and even dried fruit, do this before folding them into cake, muffin or sweet bread batter.
How to store the cake
Be sure to wrap the cake in plastic wrap or foil to prevent the cake from drying out. It will last up to two days at room temperature. It can also be stored in the fridge tightly wrapped to prevent it from drying out and will keep for up to 5-7 days.
Can it be frozen?
Be sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe container or bag. It will keep for up to three months in the freezer. Thaw the cake in the fridge, then bring it to room temperature before serving.
You could also cut individual pieces, wrap them separately and freeze. And remove pieces when needed.
More delicious Streusel Recipes
So if you are like me and love a good Streusel Cake then I hope you give this Easy Streusel Chocolate Chip Cake a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Easy Streusel Chocolate Chip Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour (315 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (250 grams)
- 1 pinch salt*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter (cold) (cut into small pieces or grate with a cheese grater) (210 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk (195 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (90 grams)
*If you use unsalted butter increase salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Pre- heat oven to 350° (175°) and grease and flour a 9" (23 centimeter) cake pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the cubed cold butter and mix until the mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the crumbly mixture and place in a small bowl, stir in the cinnamon, this will be your streusel topping, set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the milk, eggs, and vanilla, beat with a fork until combined. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula just until moistened, stir for 15-16 stirs (no more). Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with the topping. Bake for approximately 45-55 minutes check for doneness with a toothpick. Let cool before serving. Enjoy.
Updated from February 2, 2018.